FCIM problem?? but still have 48V - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to nick_isoprime
FCIM problem?? but still have 48V

Hi,
My F350 2005 6.0 AT 4wd stock has exactly the symtoms both described and as seen in online video as a unit with defective FCIM. I downloaded the very well written how to fix FICM guide all happy that I had this sorted.
On turning the key the voltage on the RHS screw pops up at ~20V for a second then quickly up to 48V. Turn off the key and it slowly bleeds down.
I assume this means something else is wrong.
I live in Texas so a 'cold start' isn't exactly cold but it's hard to start and runs like crap unless either recently run or it sits in the sun for a good while.

Recent changes, I replaced the 2 filters as my first thought was water in the fuel. No change. I thought maybe a supply issue so turned key on with the engine mounted filter cap loose. seems plenty of fuel and no air.

Glow plugs?
I somehow didn't do the FICM test right?
??

Only other point to note is the batteries (<6 months old) seem weaker than one would expect. Myabe you just don't get very many goes on one of these before it starts (or doesn't)?

Thanks

Nick..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

As soon as the key turns on it should be 48V. You should never see 20V...
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

20V was there for under a second, I didn't look over the circuit but figured there was a charge up time.
Some guides say just turn the key and measure. others suggest trying to start the truck and see if the voltage drops.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You used motorcraft filters, right?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
The Silent Service

Check your cranking voltage on the FICM first?

Then I would have your batteries load tested, followed by a WOT voltage check of the FICM, if you have a monitor in the truck.

Let us know what the cranking voltage is first though.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Check your cranking voltage on the FICM first?

Then I would have your batteries load tested, followed by a WOT voltage check of the FICM, if you have a monitor in the truck.

Let us know what the cranking voltage is first though.

Thanks,
The other day when it wouldn't start I tried about 20 times so I think batteries probably not the cause but will get a load test and check.

WOT is that wide open throttle like a boat? The truck is stock but a buddy has a fancy code reader that might do this.

Will crank test tomorrow. If FICM voltage drops when cranking is that batteries or could still be FICM?
My charger pooped the other day so plan to get one with 55A boost/start. Any benifit to testing with that hooked up?
Thanks

Nick..
Old 06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
The Silent Service

If the voltage drops on the FICM when you crank it over, that is still an FICM problem. Don't test the truck with any charger hooked up, that may give a false indication or create an unsafe condition.

However, you may have caused issues with the FICM with a low battery condition. So I would also have your batteries checked for cranking amps, as well as testing voltage for the FICM at start up.

The simplest thing the 6.0L owner can do is purchase a monitor like the Edge Insight CS/CTS, as you can monitor 95% of the issues with the motor and pull DTCs.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info.
I'm not quite ready to throw down $400 on the Edge but if the crack and battery tests don't pan out it sounds like a next step. The Ford dealer in town are a$$holes (next closest is quite a drive) so I'd way rather spend the $400 than take it there.
Will report back once I get it tested. Will charge batteries overnight too.

This morning it did start first time but had been in the sun 2 hrs. smoked and ran like crap for a minute or so then (I assume) got hot enough that it seemed OK. 6 short trips and each time started and ran fine.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_isoprime View Post
Thanks for the info.
I'm not quite ready to throw down $400 on the Edge but if the crack and battery tests don't pan out it sounds like a next step. The Ford dealer in town are a$$holes (next closest is quite a drive) so I'd way rather spend the $400 than take it there.
Will report back once I get it tested. Will charge batteries overnight too.

This morning it did start first time but had been in the sun 2 hrs. smoked and ran like crap for a minute or so then (I assume) got hot enough that it seemed OK. 6 short trips and each time started and ran fine.
Don't need $400, get yourself a CS unit for around $300, buy it from an Edge Dealer so its covered if something happens. Expand out to EGT and Fuel Pressure when you have the funds available to do so.

Look at it like this, a Ford Shop will charge around $150 for a Diesel Diagnostic. Two trips to the dealer, and its paid for itself when you include fuel and time. However, with the Insight you can catch an FICM going bad which could lead to injectors going bad (which a dealership most likely isn't going to investigate the cause of, just replace them and watch another set fail). Or you can catch the Oil Cooler getting clogged up and avoiding the ticking clock that undermines all 6.0L owners, an oil cooler rebuild is less than 1/2 the cost of going into a Head Gasket job.

The only modification every 6.0L owner needs, and I stress needs, is that monitor package. Everything else is an option, but with the design of that oil cooler and the dependence of the injectors on proper FICM voltage and Fuel Pressure, you should be keeping an eye on the internal workings of that powerplant. The Stock Gauge Cluster, doesn't come close to fulfilling that need.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, so I'm about to break down and buy more vehicle stuff....
Best price I found the Edge CTS is $324 inc shipping.
From that page the "you might also like (to spend even more on)" was a Bully Dog Triple Dog GT Tuner for $595.
I know nothing about either product but the latter seems to also be a tuner.
Being able to maybe tow better and/or a few mpg sounds neat but double the cost.
Anyone have thoughts?
Sorry, guess this is wandering off topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.