6.0 runs rough at idle and cruising speeds - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 6.0 runs rough at idle and cruising speeds

My 03 6.0 runs real rough at idle and at cruising speeds on the highway. It progressivly gets worse the warmer it gets. When at highway speeds (running rough) you can throttle up, black smoke rolls out, and it runs fine till you hit overdrive again, then back to rough. I've taken it to several shops, all with different answers. But what i do know is that #2 injector is only firing when under power. I have replaced the motor (with a rebuild),#2injector twice,hpop,oil cooler, egr delete, glow plugs, checked ficm, injector harness, new icp and pigtail, fuel pressure is good. It's been at another shop for the last 9 wks the guy wont even work on it any more! ANY SUGGESTIONS?????? PLEASE I NEED HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

throwing any codes?
i know it's a rebuilt, but maybe there's a problem with the motor. try checking for blow by.
then, KOER, disconnect #2 injector. see if idle falters. this will confirm an issue with that cylinder
Old 05-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i recently did head gaskets, head studs, and a egr delete on my 03 6.0. Before i did it truck ran fine just did it so the truck would hold up to my horse power. Now truck is throwing a cylinder #1 code and at a idle it is only running on 7 cylinders but when you take off all 8 come back. also now after doing the work i did my truck rolls white smoke constantly. Plus it has a lope idle now. can someone please help.

Last edited by samarmstrong57; 05-18-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarmstrong57 View Post
i recently did head gaskets, head studs, and a egr delete on my 03 6.0. Before i did it truck ran fine just did it so the truck would hold up to my horse power. Now truck is throwing a cylinder #1 code and at a idle it is only running on 7 cylinders but when you take off all 8 come back. also now after doing the work i did my truck rolls white smoke constantly. Plus it has a lope idle now. can someone please help.
you said ficm is ok, just showing correct voltages does not mean it is ok. You can also ohm check the suspect injectors. It is giving you a #1 code for a reason. Investigate that. maybe you need to look at the push rods, and rocker arms again......?

Sent from my SCH-I500
Old 05-18-2012, 08:20 PM

hmmm. is it an injector 1 circuit code? or contribution?
if it's contribution, KOER, remove the oil filler cap. check the blow by.
have a funny feeling you may have installed a push rod ****ed
Old 05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The ficm was sent to some one in texas and checked it out and it was good. The only codes that come up are #2 contribution. When its hooked to a computer and they shut down #2 nothing changes. But again that injector has been changed out 3 times with no difference. The guy thats working on it said he has pulled the head off and can"tfind anything wrong,he also did a compression test and it was within specs
Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Only thing I can see is a wireing problem that injector is not receiveing any signal from the FICM or the scan tool and is just not fireing at all.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM

that should normally cause a circuit code though.
you're positive the push rods for that cylinder are ok? because bent push rods won't cause a loss of compression, but will cause a misfire. and it's easy to throw those push rods in slightly off the lifter when doing a head job.

and just to confirm, was it cyl 1? or 2?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:30 PM

Kaya I would agree but there has been 3 different injectors in the same hole. Heads have been pulled and inspected reinstalled and checked with the same problem. Do ya think his mechanic put bent push rods back in the same place again?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Do ya think his mechanic put bent push rods back in the same place again?
well, if he's keeping everything in order like he should, he would put them back in the same place. but ya, if you're pulling the head off a second time, you're looking for anything and everything. one would hope something that obvious wouldn't be overlooked

too bad you can't run a buzz test on the 6.0's. that would come in handy right here.
guess it's time to break out the multimeter and check the circuit.
power probe would be best though

or i wonder if you can do like a gas vehicle and check for injector pulse with a 194 marker bulb. that would be ideal

Last edited by kaya@bernhausen; 05-20-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.