Lost Power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost Power

Our company has a 2003 F-550 and a 2004 F-450 both with the 6.0. The 550 has about 65,000 miles and the 450 has about 35,000. My employees are extemely diligent about routine maintenance (oil, filters, etc.) and we are particular about fuel purchases to the extent possible. When we first purchased the trucks, they could pull our office building around the block, but over the last 6 months or so, both trucks have expierenced a significant decline in take-off power. We have to let them idle for 5 to 10 minutes before they will even pull out of their own tracks. When they first start, they run VERY rough and put out a lot of fuel smoke. The local Ford garage has no idea what the problem is. I have talked to a few heavy truck wrenches who are familiar with International engines and have heard everything from a fuel rail problem to bad fuel to cracked exhaust manifold. I hope maybe someone might be at least familiar with this type of power loss and could offer a few suggestions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not to knock your dealership but if they mostly work on cars they just don't know much about Diesels. I have a 2003 F-350 with a 6.0 in it. I had slow take offs just like you talking about and a funny idle. Alot of computer updates and exhaust back pressure sensor later shes pulling harder than I think she ever has. I also have a tool bed on the truck so its always loaded, but when they put the back pressure sensor in I didn't relize how much lost power I was missing. Hope it will help. I hear lots of bad 6.0 stuff but 63k on mine and I love it.

Alex
Old 09-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Getting used to it

Maybe you all are just getting to used to the trucks power. I know that oftentimes my truck begins to feel slower than it used to until I race my friends again and i'm still beating them by the same margin. But that doesn't explain the smoke you mentioned so...hmmm...I'll see what I can dig up!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up lost power

Try Chipping One Of The Trucks. I Am Extremely Impressed With The Amount Of Power And The Better Mileage I Have Gotten By Installing A Super Chip In My 2005 F-350 Drw Crewcab. Tire Smoking Power And 15-16 Miles Per Gallon
Old 09-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the ideas on the back pressure sensor and computer updates. I'm going to try to find a dealer or someone who has a little working knowledge of the 6.0. As far as chips go, I've heard a lot about Superchips and a little less about some others. Any ideas on which is best?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Wow - that's a question that you'll see many disagree over. I personally have the Predator and it's friggin awesome BUT some people say they've had problems while others like me have none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.