Running rought after turn with low fuel 04 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running rought after turn with low fuel 04 6.0

Alright I've had my truck for about 9 months now. Late model 04 with 110k miles on it. Previous owner took good care of it. Truck had had the FICM replaced with a new unit at some point.

I was driving home the other night about 5 miles away from the fuel station. I had about an 1/8th of a tank left. Waiting at a redlight to make a left turn. Anyways, at the apex of the turn i gave it a little bit of pedal and it felt like i ran out of fuel for about a split second and then kept on driving but now with what seems like a miss and low power. I dropped my buddy off and drove home about 22 miles with the same seeming miss and low power. Hopped in my truck 2 days later hoping for it to be fine but it still seems the same. Truck fires right up as it always has and it runs the same hot as it does cold.

Cliffs:
Made sharp turn with low fuel
gave it too much pedal
now runs very rough and has very low power
drove it about 22 miles home
no engine light on
still fires right up
have driven an additional 8 miles as well

Just looking for some advice here on where to start. Was hoping some air got sucked up and would work its way out but i dont think thats my issue anymore. I was a mechanic for a while as a career and still tinker around on the side so im pretty good with working on things. At this point i would like to avoid having to pay someone to run a scanner on it. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hoping I can bleed the fuel lines and change the fuel filter and fix it. The truck drove another 3 miles after I made the turn without any additional issues. The light had just come on and I've driven the truck with less fuel a few times with no issues at all. Then I filled it up and made it home. The no CEL thing is what I'm finding weird. I was hoping to get a code to point me in the right direction. Any input?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my truck is stuck in the parking lot after something similar to this.. mine jsut lost power with 1/4 tank left and choked out on me.. no codes and Ficm reading 48.5V.. curious what you find out.. im check the camshaft sensor.. possibly this is the issue.. i have a egr delete so its not a stuck egr. Good luck with your truck
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Small update...I was able to tool around with it the other day. I pulled the plug on the #7 injector and the truck ran no differently. I pulled the plug on the injector directly in front of that injector (#5) and the truck ran much worse. Plugged in the #7 with the #5 still unplugged and it was still running worse. Basically unplugging the #7 made the truck no better or worse off than it was from the start. I DO NOT have any codes. I have put about 100 miles on the truck in the past 4 days. Still runs rough...I can hear a miss in the exhaust and its very under powered. Is it possible to have a bad injector and no codes at all?

Last edited by slogu; 03-25-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Running these engines low or out of fuel is a big no no. You're really not supposed to run em below 1/4 tank. The 6.0 injector is highly sensitive and is very dependent on fuel as a lubricant and a cushion for its internal parts. Fuel starvation, or water intrusion (usually caused by aftermarket fuel filters, or ignoring water in fuel light) is very deadly and very expensive. No. 7 & 8 injectors are more prone to starvation due to being at the end of the "dead head" fuel system
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ordered an Injector last night. Going to replace the #7 and see what happens. I cant imagine another one is bad. Its not running terribly just a little rough.

Last edited by slogu; 03-25-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FIXED:

I swapped out the #7 injector and in the process i discovered that the #1 injector plug wires were missing insulation. I was able to repair this. Not sure which one was the issue, but its fixed now. Just an fyi for anyone who reads this....Don't bother working on the passenger side of the engine without removing the evaporator case. It made things go about 100% more smoothly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.