04 stumbles only when warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 stumbles only when warm

Hey guys, I have a late 04 that has had a stumble after driving on the interstate for quite a while. It was fairly minor and didn't seem to effect performance at all. It 95% of the time went away if i let the truck sit for a bit.

Then around Thanksgiving last year it ran awful when I started it first thing in the morning. So i check my FICM and sure enough my voltages were in the 30's.

I ordered a 58v from Vivian@ Quick Tricks and installed it in December. That fixed the cold start issues, but it still felt like it had a miss when it warmed up on the interstate.

I had hoped it was possibly stiction, so i switched to T6 Rotella and Rev-x. I also changed fuel filters and a new thermostat as i could only get to 176 degrees on the interstate.

It felt like it might have helped the problem but I think it was just me trying to justify putting $250 worth of Oil and filters in my truck.

I had put up with the rough idle for about 2 more months thinking it could be injectors and I decided to take it to a dealer to have a balance test. When i took the truck to the dealer the miss was gone completely and their test was a bust.

So I have been trying to search for people with similar issues as me and i came up with perhaps the ICP sensor. My voltages where swinging from .7 - 1 on my CTS when it would stumble. I replaced the sensor 2 weeks ago and it did not help any.

The miss is getting much worse and is now apparent anytime the truck has reached operating temp.

Looking for some help.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You may want to check the throttle plate on the intake. The 03 and early 04's had a throttle plate and actuator, mid 04 they did away with the actuator but left the plate in jammed in the wide open position.

On a few trucks I have found this plate to have moved partially closeing off the intake restricting air flow. Some were actually flopping around causeing random rough idle/stumbles etc. In 05 the plate was removed. A possibility, altho rare.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dannyboy, I will check that.

Forgot to mention, i have no codes other than my FICM over voltage.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Morning Bump
Old 03-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I removed the butterfly on my intake and also cleaned the EGR valve which was dry in the bottom section, but was oily in the top section. Is that normal?

I have an EGR Delete and a new Oil cooler on its way already.

It seemed to run better today, I tried to run it pretty hard and I couldn't get it to stumble like before. Can the EGR valve cause it to run rough like that?

Forgot to mention I'm getting a ICP low voltage code if i do a hard acceleration now. I can clear it and do another hard run and it will come back.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Crazyike; 03-11-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Monday bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.