Here's a challenge...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here's a challenge......

06' 6.0L.....just did EGR delete. The first issue I come across is the fan clutch issue related to not pluging the EGR back in after its blocked off....read all about it on every forum on this site....so i plugged it back in and mounted it to the CAT tube, out of the way...the fan is still spinning at a higher rate. So I figure i better take it to my friend/ford diesel mechanic. He reflashes it. He does the in line test for head gaskets(never made more than 10) So he says thats fine. He also tests the variance between the oil and water temp. That was within spec. Then we figure that the coolant level ratio was off, beacuse i had to run straight water through it just to get it to my shop(loosing water due to the failing EGR cooler)...so we get that to 50/50. He drives is and it works for him, BUT as soon as i put my foot on the pedal the fan starts up again....So we figure that it has to be the fan clutch, the PCM or the harness. I agree. then i see my thermostat start to creep. He also said it ran a little hot for him as well(he had his pc hooked to it while he test drove it)...So i immediately think, thermostat! Nope...changed that with OEM parts. So here i am.....what is my issue. My dad immediately grabbed the lower radiator hose and said "cold as ice"! Your radiator is blocked!....could that be? You would think that if it were blocked it would run hot and over heat, right? Then i think the only other thing it could be is my water pump? Also while you pros are helping me figure this out, i turned on my heat to help cool the truck down while it was running hot, and nothing but cold air(even at 90 deg).....a little help before i go dump some more $$$ into this da_n truck. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
air in the system....let it run with the heater on with the cap off for a while and monitor the coolant level.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:38 PM

did that.....I think they call it burping the system....appears that all the air is out.....why the cold lower radiator hose?
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off it would help to know what the actual temps are that we are working with. What is the coolant temp; oil temp; ambient air temp, what altitude are you at.

I suspect that your engine is not reaching full operateing temp. This can be due to several factors or a combination of factors contributing to the condition.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
could be the water pump. pull the coolant line at the bottle going from the egr cooler degas port and watch for flow from it while the engine is running. no flow means the water pump isn't circulating.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 AM

Danny.....I'll get those specifics on Monday and report back....

Matt...........If the radiator is blocked and not allowing coolant to get to the pump, it would be dry spinning, right?...Im going to go check the line and will report back

Thanks guys....Standby
Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 PM

no flow...I read that to accurately check it needs to be done at the heater not the degass...does this mean anything to you?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

No water/coolant exiting from the hose that runs from the intake manifold to the degas bottle means the water pump is not flowing coolant. It's time to remove the fan and fan stator out to have a look/see of the water pump impeller blades.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
could be the water pump. pull the coolant line at the bottle going from the egr cooler degas port and watch for flow from it while the engine is running. no flow means the water pump isn't circulating.
couldn't this also mean that the oil cooler water side is clogged.......?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

the bottom radiator hose should be cool....not necesarily "cold as ice". Warm water rises cooler water enters the motor at the bottom. If the water pump is not circulating correctly i would think the hoses on the top and bottom would both be hot or warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.