6.0L Cranks strong but no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L Cranks strong but no start

So The truck has been firing up perfect ever since i had the 6.0L basic solution kit installed. Three days ago I was driving made a left turn and all a sudden it loses power! engine was still running but it would not go over 1500-1800rpm a few hundred feet and then it choked out on me. The truck would crank but not start. I left it on the side of the road and came back 2 hours later. Cranks a couple times no start.. try a third time long crank.. me pressing the pedal down and it fires up but with a weak idle and same it would not go over 1500rpm this time and choked out. Had it towed to the house, took off the EGR valve ( mechanic left it on) and it was super clogged up with gunk and possibly dried up coolant from when i had a blown egr cooler. I left the Egr valve off and just screw on the sinister plate on. The truck cranks strong still but does not fire up!. I dont see my rpm nor oil pressure go up ( stock gauge) while cranking. Anyone input on here to help me get the truck back on the road once again I would be very thankful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Failed to mention: The truck is an 04 F250 CC king ranch 6.0L 4x4 with 166K miles

Last edited by NGkingranch; 03-09-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

had same problem coolant was around cylinders is what dealer said. thank god its still under warranty...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A friend looked at it and brought his scanner. He couldnt pull any codes but the tru truck is registering oil pressure. He thinks its the glow plugs... any thoughts?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Checked the FICM and it was reading 17.5V on 100% charged batts.. so i took it off and my neighbor found a thread on how to repair FICMs so this was done tonight.. reinstalled it and now its reading 48.5V key one but still crank but no start.. im getting puffs of white smoke but smells like diesel. Anyone on here have similar issues? I cannot get any codes with the scanner.. everything checks out fine.. inputs please
Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The oil pressure gauge is an on off switch, you need to get the oil pressure tested. It does not sound like it is building enough oil pressure.

Call the 800-887-5030 line in the AM and for the sales desk, they can see if they have a qualified diesel repair shop with the proper diagnostic to test it. You do not want to start guessing if it is a high pressure oil leak or weak oil pump.

Dave
Old 03-13-2012, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave At BD Power View Post
The oil pressure gauge is an on off switch, you need to get the oil pressure tested. It does not sound like it is building enough oil pressure.

Call the 800-887-5030 line in the AM and for the sales desk, they can see if they have a qualified diesel repair shop with the proper diagnostic to test it. You do not want to start guessing if it is a high pressure oil leak or weak oil pump.

Dave
Ok I will give this a shot.. is there any way to test oil pressure at home? I will read up on weak hpop too. Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well everything is pointing out to be something with the HPOP.. i was thinking an STC fitting and irp valve. I have the cover off the pump and I dont see an stc fitting in there... the cover came out as once solid piece. Any help as to what could be wrong in there or in the case do i have to replace the whole pump?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changed the IPR valve because when i took everything apart the screen was dirty and had a piece of what looks like a wix filter.. i since i bought the truck 8 months ago only use motorcraft filters. Got it all back together and it still just cranks and will not start... now its throwing a code P2285 icp sensor low circuit... Anyone please chime in with suggestions.. or if you have run into this issue before. Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well on my old 6.0 I had a loss of oil pressure causing a crank no start issue. Behind the dampner is a 12mm allen plug. On the inside of that is a spring and plunger. If you decide to pull it apart when you remove the allen plug it should not be spring loaded. If it is spring loaded then the plunger is sticking or hung up, which will cause no oil pressure. Pull the plunger and see what is causing it to lock up. On mine I had what looked to be a small clip broke off. This is for the low oil pressure system. It's worth a shot for you to take a look at it.

Link to my thread: 06 6.0 no start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.