New to my 6.0 and diesels in general - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to my 6.0 and diesels in general

Just bought my first diesel last week. I bought a 2007 F250 single rear wheel crew cab Lariat FX4 with 139K. Bought it in Houston and drove back to Indiana. It drove great and got ~22 (by the lie o meter) on the highway. I has reset the mileage gauge just to see hwy mpg so it shouldn't match. The overall for the whole trip was 20.9 by hand calc. Also getting a not too bad just shy of 15 around town by hand calc.

Once getting to Indiana, despite our warm trend, we had a few cold mornings. I had the rough start issue. Took to dealer and had them go through it with a fine tooth comb. Everything checked out great but, they told me what you all had already taught me which is that the injectors were having stiction issues. Of course they recommend replacement with the nice heavy pricetag. Although they were honest and said everything should clear up with the warm weather until next winter. First I am going to give Rev-X a go and see what that does. I've also just added my first additive to the fuel to improve lubricity and cetane. I put Diesel Kleen + in this afternoon to see if that helped quiet the injectors down a little. Still waiting on the Rev-X. I plan to go full synthetic at the next oil change too.

Thanks to all the posters/repsonders for all the education before the purchase and now afterward. As I learn my about my 6.0, I'll try to contribute as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You certainly came to the right place! You'll get a schoolin' here!

I sure hope you have better luck with your 6.0 than I have
Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
Welcome to the Org

Posted via Autoguide...Enabling my addiction!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckles24 View Post
Welcome to the Org

Posted via Autoguide...Enabling my addiction!
LOVE the Autoguide!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the .org! You are on the right track with swapping to synthetic oil. Alot of people say that it has helped their stiction problems. And i ALWAYS put some kind of additive in my fuel, its a good ritual to get use to doing. And you should look into getting some gauges or a way to monitor your vitals. Enjoy your 6.0

Last edited by RTR stroker; 03-08-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put the 16oz of diesel Kleen in and drove about 30 minutes. Tank was nearly full. Temp outside same as yesterday so good comparison. The truck is running so much better. The cetane bump must have been needed. I think the Meijer diesel I run only has about a 50 Cetane rating. Can't wait to get the Rev-X and clean out the other end of the injectors.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM

Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got my Rev-X today...never been so excited about an oil additive in my life! LOL It'll be harder to compare now since we've had a warm up here in Indiana. Although I think it's dropping below freezing tonight so tomorrow AM start will be a good test after running the Rev-X today and tonight.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Rev-X seems to once again have done the job. I am new to diesels so this may be "normal". It is still a little rough for about 10 seconds after starting on a cold morning, but then it settles right in. Onceit is warmed up and I am crusing along, it is not much different sounding than a gasser. My plan oging forward is to use full suyunthetic at the next oil change and another 2 bottles of Rev-X (going to one bottle per after that one). I have my EGR delete kit in hand waiting for a full day of time to do it. Also bought a test pipe to let things flow through the turbo a little more freely. The Power Service added really helped smooth things out too. My injectors sound much happier. I also plan on hooking up my laptop and OBD connector to check out the sensor values (esp EOT and ECT) next time I drive it. Is the fuel pressure soemthing I should be able to read through the OBD as well? Haven't hooked up the laptop and software to this truck yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.