6.0 starts okay, but cranks for a long time - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 starts okay, but cranks for a long time

I have a 2007 6.0 with 147k and when i go to start it it cranks for a long time, but starts fine. Recently its not started and i have had to let off of the key and try a second time. Does anyone know what this could be? I have checked the voltage on my ficm and it drops down to about 35volts when its cold and goes back up to 47.5-48volts when its warm. Not sure if this is the problem or not because its starts fairly well it just cranks awhile. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Be sure to get the batteries individually load tested to be sure that isn't he problem. However, I suspect that you will find that the FICM is toast once the batteries are confirmed to be good.

Do some searches and you can find repair shops who will rebuild FICM for 300 - 400 bucks.

MikeB
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 AM

When it starts it starts fine though, not like the typical 6.0 with a bad ficm. When it doesnt start it just cranks and cranks an nothing until i let off of the key and try again. I was thinking maybe it could be the HPOP.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 AM

AT 35V, the FICM is either toast or about to be. If I had a known problem, especially one that will lead to even more costly problems, I would get that fixed ASAP.

A HPOP is a mechanical pump - it either is working or is not. Now a high pressure oil leak is another matter...

MikeB
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM

FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair Just a suggestion
Old 03-06-2012, 03:50 PM

This is a video of what its doing after its warm. This morning it was 17 degrees and it started right up, but after i drove home from work I shut my truck off and then tried to restart it and this is what happened.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 AM

Ive been looking around and it seems like i have a high pressure oil leak
Old 03-07-2012, 04:43 PM

The symptoms definately sound like a high pressure oil leak but the FICM voltage readins are a concern as well. You never want to see anything below 45V on the FICM. Have you gotten any DTC's out of it. May have to plug in to see what the HPO system is doing. I.E. Desired HPO vs. Actual HPO. There is a ghetto way by hooking a meter up to your ICP. Ill see if I have it somewhere
Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM

Alright, here is the ghetto way of checking to see if you have sufficient high pressure oil without having a gauge or adapter. Strip back the wires about an inch away from the icp sensor connector. Obtain a digital multimeter and set it for voltage (DC). The bn-wh wire is a five volt reference, leave that alone. Strip back the db-lg signal wire and the gy-rd ground wire. Put positive lead on a dark blue-light green wire and negative lead on gray-red wire. Have an assistant crank truck, you need a minimum of 0.80 volts (500 psi) for the truck to start, if you are getting greater than that then you have sufficient high pressure oil.
Key on engine off the voltage reading at that sensor should be between 0.17 volts-0.35 volts. That voltage reading indicates little to no pressure.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 PM

A friend of mine has an edge insight gauge that i can hook up and i believe it has ICP pressure. Ill give that a try before I go and try what you just said. That sounds crazy. Do you know what the pressure should be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.