6.0 stalled on highway, won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 stalled on highway, won't start

Coming home from camping yesterday, my 2006 F350 dually died on the highway while pulling our 5th wheel. I was able to coast it to a nearby gas station. Tried to restart it, but no luck. There was only about 10-15psi registering at the ICP according to my Edge Insight. Also, after cranking the engine and then looking under the hood, I could hear a hissing noise coming from the around the oil filter area, but couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from. The battery light also came on as I tried to crank the engine over which I have never seen before. I let it sit overnight and tried cranking it over this moring and got around 100psi at the ICP and the battery light still on, but it still wouldn't start (obviously). No oil pressure registers on the dummy gauge either. I also checked the coolant and oil just for kicks and everything was fine there. I've read a lot of post here on the forums, but couldn't find any that matched up with what I'm experiencing. Any ideas as to what may be the problem?

Not sure if the additional info would help, but I noticed some oil on top of the block a couple of weeks ago in the same area that the hissing is coming form, and it's running of the back of the block and dripping of the bellhousing. I had an IPR valve and STC fitting replaced on this truck last summer when it died. This current situation is similar to last summer, but not quite. The truck is currently at a dealership 90 miles from here and will be looked at tomorrow. Would like to know if anyone has experience anything similar and what I might be getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Just wanted to update the group in case it may help someone else with the same problem. I got my truck to the closest dealership to where I broke down. The problem was with the STC fitting. It blew apart causing the shut down and no-start. Last summer I had the IPR valve go out and while my local dealership was in there working, they had replaced the STC fitting with a new one as stated on the service receipt. It was the two piece style of fitting. While talking with the mechanics at the dealership, they told me that this is wrong STC fitting to put on these trucks now and that there was an update fitting. They also gave me the failed STC fitting and told me I should take the bill to the previous dealership and have them reimburse me for the repairs (my truck is out of warranty). Can anyone verify whether I have any grounds to complain? I have seen what the updated fittings look like, but can only find TSB 06-17-06 as a reference and it talks about using the two-piece fitting. If I really do have a valid claim, I would like to have the right documentation to back up my complaint. If anybody can verify this, I would be greatful.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. At least it was after your camping trip and not before as that would have been a bummer. I'm not familiar with the 6.0 enough to provide any insight on your issue, but I will use your experience if I ever have that issue on any of my camping trips with my F250 6.0. If the STC is something that can be changed on the road then I might consider getting a spare in case this happens to me. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 AM
Powerstroke Techie

What?! They supposedly replaced the STC fitting with another STC fitting and not the one piece style? I don't even know where they would have bought one of them, because they've been changed now for probably 3 or more years!

I'm thinking someone is blowing smoke up your butt on the original repair and it was never done. How much was the bill for the first time when they supposedly replaced it? They would have been somewhat close to the STC fitting when getting to the IPR but most places remove the intake to get to it.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
When changing an IPR and changing the STC there is very little overlap. you can get the IPR by removing the ficm but to get the STC out you need to remove the turbo and push the up-pipes back to get the pump cover off.

I would suspect the original STC repair was never performed. Find the original repair reciept, look at the part numbers billed out and if possible list them for us.

IPR Valve - 5C3Z-9C968-CA
One piece STC- 4C3Z-9B246-E or 4C3Z-9B246-F
Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

I got out the service receipt from when my truck died back in the summer. Service was done complete on 6/01/11. Here is what is listed on that receipt and it was all covered under the 5yr/100K warranty w/$100 deductible:

Labor: Replaced IPR valve and Block Fitting

Parts:
1- 3C3Z-6766-CA CAP ASY
1- 53CZ-9C968-CA REGULATOR
1- 4C3Z-9B246-F KIT 53

Just for comparison purposes, here is what was listed on the service receipt when I picked my truck up the other day at a different dealership and I paid out of pocket for this. *NOTE: THEY REPLACED A DUMMY PLUG THEY OTHER DAY TOO:

Parts:
1- 4C3Z-9B246-F KIT
1- W302725 HARDWARE-MISC
1- W30012 O RING
1- W320908 HARDWARE

I also attached a picture of the STC fitting the tech at the dealership gave me the other day...the one that was supposedly replaced. He told me I should take the part to the part and the bill back to the original dealership and have them pay my bill. What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
6.0 stalled on highway, won't start-stc-fitting.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Yep, you got F'd. Just checked and the part number from the first repair is the right part number for the solid one piece fitting for the HPOP. They billed you for the repair and part but the part was never replaced. I'll bet some tech figured he'd say he did the repair and get paid for the time, especially seeing as it was something that should have been replaced. I'll bet your STC fitting kit is sitting in his toolbox or sold on Ebay by now.

I'd be marching right back there and demanding them to pay you back and pay you for the tow bill on your recent breakdown.

That sucks man. Hope you get something resolved.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Oh, just saw it was warranty the first time. It might not have just been the tech that screwed you. Service writers will make up warranty claims to make more money as well.... I've seen it happen when I worked at a dealer.

Thing is most people would never have known, until they had a failure like you.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd go ask the parts guy what part it is first, without even mentioning them paying a bill. Get it on record or something that shows it is for sure the two piece and did in fact come off your truck. Probably from the dealer that helped you out.
Then you can go back to the original and let it rain
Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I'd go ask the parts guy what part it is first, without even mentioning them paying a bill. Get it on record or something that shows it is for sure the two piece and did in fact come off your truck. Probably from the dealer that helped you out.
Then you can go back to the original and let it rain
Ooh, I like that tactic. I'm sitting here looking at the kit now. I keep one in stock. I'd ask them to pull it for you then take it over the the service department and see what they say!

When I got a job at a dealer 4 years ago they had the new 1 piece kit out then. There isn't even a part number for the old 2 piece STC fitting that I'm aware of anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.