Did We Grenade The Engine? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did We Grenade The Engine?

Was driving back from a call, traveling 75mph or so on the freeway. I thought the cruise shut off, attempted to accelerate and the truck would not do as it was told. The engine was still running but the rpms were only reading 1000. I coasted it off the freeway (engine then died), and got it safely parked in a gas station. Went to restart it and initially all i had was a bunch of clicks from the starter (would not turn over), after about the 3rd or 4th time the engine fires. A huge cloud of white smoke came out of the exhaust that smelled like fuel and the engine was knocking pretty hard. Shut it down immediately and waited for a tow.

A little history on the van, 2006 E350 w 200k. Engine was replaced under warranty due to a bedpan leak @ 75k. So around 125K and prob close to 25,000 hours on this engine. Last week #5 injector went bad (electrical issue) and the entire bank of injectors were replaced w/ Ford Reman injectors.

I am not sure what to think. Initially I thought an injector let go and filled a cylinder with fuel? But if this was the case, why would the engine still idle before cutting out on the freeway? Anywhoo, I am glad I dont have to pay for the repair (company vehicle)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 06:50 AM

Oh i did want to add this. Oil was checked in the am at the start of shift. Was full/and clean (just changed a few days ago). Also when waiting for the tow I checked the degas bottle, it was full of coolant and not boiling over or anything. And honestly, I did not look at any of the gauges when this happened. I was to concerned about getting the van off the freeway and in a safe location
Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
you may have lost another injector but it's hard to say. Keep us posted
Old 03-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Raw fuel out the tailpipe = injector(s) stuck open.

Now the question becomes whether it's on the HARD bank or the EASY bank? In any event if it's not YOUR money, it's not YOUR worry.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 AM

So which side is the hard side? I know cylinder 5 injector went bad, they replaced that entire bank of injectors at the same time. If the injector did stick open, and hydrolocked the engine with fuel any chance of internal damage?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Going thru the same thing! You are asking all the questions I needed to know!

I am glad m-chan chimed in! He knows his stuff! It makes me feel better when he is telling you the problems and solutions.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Cylinders #1, #3, #5 and #7 are the "hard" side to access on an E-Series because valve cover removal requires either removing the engine mount and letting the engine drop down, or lifting the body off the frame about an inch for the clearance needed to enable removal. If the vehicle was shut down in time, engine damage caused by overfueling was likely avoided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.