running rough after oil change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
running rough after oil change

I just changed my oil last weekend and ever since then my truck runs rough until it is warmed up. Its not as noticeable at idle but driving it, it will shake, and has no power until its warm. I used motorcraft conventional oil and motorcraft filter. My diesel mech told me when I first got the truck to not run synthetic in a 6.0, but from what little reading I have done lots of people do. Its an 04 f250 crew cab 4x4 auto with 160k miles. I bought the truck about 10 months ago and was told the ficm was replaced at 130k miles. I did check voltage on it and with my meter it checked good. On a side note the oil and filter I used set in my basement for over 4 months before I used it. I bought it when it was on sale. The fuel filters were replaced about 5k miles ago.

My main questions
Should I switch to synthetic?
Why would it just ask if the sudden start this after an oil change?
Should I go ahead and change the fuel filters too?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No help at all?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Double check the FICM when it is cold and make sure to check it at all three points as detailed in the FICM check procedure. Other common possibilities are batteries - have them load tested, and injector stiction. Have you scanned for codes?

MikeB
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have not scanned it. I suspected the batteries were going bad. The voltage is usually about 10.5 when the glow plugs are first initiated and doesn't get above 12 until way down the road. Would the batteries just all of the sudden start acting this way? I was just confused since it happened right after the oil change.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM

If this is your first oil change, or first time running in cold weather then you may want to do a search for "stiction". A lot of us that have the same problem as you and use an additive like Rev-X or Archoil AR9100. You can watch my videos in my sig to hear if your truck sounds the same as mine. I've tried both additives. They both work for stiction, but i think it's just a bandaid fix to some other problem/s.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM

Get the batteries load tested as soon as possible otherwsie you risk killing your FICM and your injectors. Get the parts store to scan for codes also.

I run synthetic with no problems and many many people here do also. In my opinion it will be much better for your injectors since they are fired with high pressure oil.

Your issue is unlikely to be related to the oil change. Check your FICM before you start dropping injectors.

MikeB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.