Blue to Black Smoke after blue spring upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blue to Black Smoke after blue spring upgrade

I have a 2007 6.0 L that has been giving me some issue as of late. It all started a few weks ago on our trip home unloaded going down hill it would cut out. For the rest of the way home I had to stay below 45mph to keep it from cutting out. Thought I had bad fuel. Did a filter change and found nothing unusual besides the the secondary fuel bowl did not have much fuel in it. Before putting the cap on it I ran the pump and filled it and put the Cap on. Drove a couple of miles with it running great until it happened again. Back in the shop found the bowl low on fuel. Ordered and installed new spring kit because I was running about 45PSI new one got me mid 60's PSI all the time but now I blow black blue smoke at idle cold and when I step on it. Fuel Bowl is now full of fuel and truck is running like normal with no codes at this time. When it was running out of fuel I would get an imbalance cyclinder code of cyc 1, 3, and 8 but not all the time and I am blaming that on lack of fuel to the injector. Turbo boost is good, FICM 48 Volts, and cleaned EGR

Did lack of fuel cause injector failure?
What am I missing?

Smoke is bad enough I won't have any mosquitos behind me this summer Feel sorry for the guy behind me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just went thru all that,my hfcm was the culprit,would run up to 50mph with no load then empty the fuel bowl, put $300 worth of filters in itand a blue spring, still no power under load, dropped fuel tank, checked sending unit and lines for blockages and new lines from tank to hfcm, no change, then she wiped injector ,5 , changed injector and new hfcm, ran great for 3 days then wiped #7, yes low fuel pressre will hurt an injector, but low oil pressure will as well.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Further facts

I beleive the air bleed off the top of the Secondary Fuel Bowl was blocked and that is what caused it to trap air until there was enough to starve the engine. Since I upgraded the spring and replaced the air bleed that has stopped the fuel starvation but now it appears I am over fueling. Do the injectors fail by putting in to much fuel or just not fire any more? I drove it from stone cold 38 Degrees without being pluged in to full temp and ran around a good thirty minutes with no codes today but plenty of smoke. Only thing was getting it going while it was still cold. Took alittle bit to get its blood flowing which I didn't feel was out of the question. I would say it is running about 80% - 90% once it is at full temp.

Thank You
in Advance

I will look into the HFCM one more time but right now I don't think lack of fuel is what is haunting me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.