Bad FICM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad FICM - Update 3/16/2012 FICMRepair.com FTW!!!

Edited 3/16 - look at my most recent post below.

So I took my 2003 Excursion to a buddy to have it scanned. It's been running real rough, and it's a pain to start in the cold (worse than usual). Cruising at 55pmg in OD, she shakes bad; like it's missing.

Anyway, he was thinking it was a bad injector at first. Once it was hooked up to the scanner, I had all 8 injectors throwing a low voltage code. My FICM was due for an update, so we flashed it. Didn't solve the issue. We monitored the FICM voltage, which was about 46-44v, then it would drop to as low as 22v! Then it would slowly rise back up.

We decided it was more than likely the FICM. Does that sound about right? I noticed in 2005 there was a recall on 2003-2004 6.0s for a FICM harness repair. I called my local dealer, and they said that did not pertain to my truck. Is there any other way to verify this?

Lastly, what's the best place to get a FICM? Ford wants $725 plus my core. I've seen some services like online (Ford FICM Repair *R&R* Service), but I'm leery to just send it off with $329.

Any help is appreciated!

-Will

Last edited by muad; 03-16-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No help?

Also, I got a quote for $400+ tax for a FICM that they said is pre-programmed. I thought you have to download your info from you olf FICM to the new one? If I get this pre-programmed one, I won't be able to do that; they require my core upon picking up the new one.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad View Post
No help?

Also, I got a quote for $400+ tax for a FICM that they said is pre-programmed. I thought you have to download your info from you olf FICM to the new one? If I get this pre-programmed one, I won't be able to do that; they require my core upon picking up the new one.
Check out ficmrepair.com Ed gets lots of good reviews on this site.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quicktricks Automotive fixed mine. Sent it, they fixed it, sent it back (now 58 volt), and paid them. It works fine and the customer service it great. I definitely would not get one from Ford.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhetrick2 View Post
Check out ficmrepair.com Ed gets lots of good reviews on this site.
This is perfect, I think I'm going to give Ed a try.

THANKS!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

There are a ton of companies that do FICM repairs that do not require re-flashing.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:08 PM

did you find that source yet? My guy found mine for $400...i can get you in touch with him if you want....
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update. SHE LIVES!

Wow, Ed from FICMRepair.com is absolutely amazing. He's VERY helpful and informative on the phone, always calls you back, and sounds like he has a passion for these things.

GOt my FICM back from him yesterday, installed two new batteries, the FICM, flushed the coolant system three times, then filled up the coolant (had to use Gold since NO One in town had one of the CAT 1 rated ELCs, and I needed the truck running).

Anyway, it purrs like a kitten, and boy does she pull harder. It's like a new truck I tell ya.

God Bless Ed and FICMRepair.com, and thank you PowerStroke.org for sending me his way.

-Will aka Muad

p.s. is there a way for me to leave him feedback on here?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 AM

keep hearing good reviews from this guy, looks like hes the one i will do business with too
Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcat01 View Post
keep hearing good reviews from this guy, looks like hes the one i will do business with too
You won't be sorry.

He got my FICM on a Saturday, still fixed it over the weekend, and it was heading back to me on Monday.

With the money I saved over paying $725+ tax for a new one from Ford (or $400 or so online), I was able to get some brand new batteries and still came in under $400; Crown Battery here in my town sells blems for half off. Instead of $129+tax each, I got two 875 CCA (1000 CA normal) 64 series batteries for $155.xx out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.