Morning Startup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Morning Startup

If temperature drops below 40. It takes me five to 10 key cycles to get the fast chatter sound of the glow plugs warming up. First cycle, I can count the number of clicking noise (usually 3-5) ticks. If I try to fire it on one key cycle, it sounds like a couple of cylinders are not firing. Is this a glow plug issue? 2006, F250, 6.0L, 96K miles.

Last edited by uglystickangler; 02-29-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Welcome to the Org.......have you tried to run a scanner to see if there are any "soft" codes??? Also have you tried plugging it in when it gets that cold?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do not have a scanner, and Ford wants $100.00 bucks but will apply it if they do the work. Its a CA truck and did not come with block heater.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
They all have the block heater, just the ones that are sold in warmer climates don't come with the plug to plug it in. Sounds like injector stiction or a failing FICM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

@evileye, According to a service tech at Ford, he told me that I have to buy the kit with heater plug and 110 cord and install one. I would have to remove the stock water plug and install kit. No disrespect, just relaying what I have been told.

Last edited by uglystickangler; 02-29-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglystickangler View Post
@evileye, According to a service tech at Ford, he told me that I have to buy the kit with heater plug and 110 cord and install one. I would have to remove the stock water plug and install kit. No disrespect, just relaying what I have been told.
Shawn is right, every truck comes with the "female" plug already installed in the block already. Its just above your starter. All you have to do is buy the cord from Ford and install it, its pretty easy, I've done several myself, all you have to is remove the inner fender well, makes life much easier .......

Stupid question, when was the last time you changed your fuel filters???
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK well, he looked under my truck and that is what he said. I will look for myself.

I change fuel filters (both) myself every oil change. Cheap insurance if you buy them by the case.

We got off track on the original issue. Even at 60 degree mornings it will take at least 3 key cycles to get a fast glow plug chatter. Upon which it starts great. Throughout the day it is fine even after work it is fine. Only first morning starts. The issue is slowly getting worse. Batteries are brand new. So I am thinking I am having weak glow plugs or is there a unit that controls the voltage to them?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The glow plugs on the 6.0L are very stout and the relay's rarely fail. There is a unit that controls the voltage to your injectors (which is likely what you are hearing) and it is the FICM. You can check the voltage using the procedure below.

LINK

One more thing: injectors get gummed up with oil, particularly when running conventional oil in low temps and it causes them to run poorly (just like you describe). While it could be a bad or dying FICM, even a perfectly working FICM may not be able to free up the injector stiction. Some folks have seen excellent results using Rev-X and switching to synthetic oils, particularly during winter.

Last edited by Evil Eye; 02-29-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you Shawn. I will give that a shot over the weekend. I have 30 years in manufacturing PC Boards, so the repair rout is not a problem. Go Figure and now I own a spice company. Anyway thanks again, I will give a followup.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Submarine Warfare

I was having cold start issues as well. Nothing as extensive as this sounds but after checking the FICM (it is fine) I took the truck to the dealer for a reflash with up to date programming and now it starts better cold than it does warm. It also took care of the transmission shifting hard following cold starts.

Knuckle-dragger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.