EOT/ECT delta, ford service records, head gasket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EOT/ECT delta, ford service records, head gasket?

I just went on a 30 minute drive and on flat ground with an outside temp in the mid 30's I saw deltas of anywhere from 6-9 degrees with average of 7 or 8 degrees at steady speeds of 65-70 mph. However, coming down a couple mile steep downgrade my Deltas quickly went to about 14-16 degrees and seemed to stay there for most of the decline. My ECT dropped quickly while the EOT was a little slower to react. Once back on the flat ground my delta were again anywhere from 6-9 degrees.

What do all of you think about these numbers?

By the way I've been a longtime reader of the forum and usually don't as k questions since most of the answers are found by a little searching. I've owned an 2005 Powerstroke for a little over two years and so far I've got gauges for EOT, ECT, EGT, tranny temp, and whatever else I decide to use on my scangauge. Also, I've got a coolant bypass filter, high idle mod, running AR9100 w/good synthetic & AR6200 w/2-stroke mix, SCT x3 with tunes from Eric at IDP.

I'm going to do the complete flush of the cooling system with restore, restore+, and fill with good elc this spring. At that time I've got a complete egr delete kit to install and am trying to figure out how my oil cooler is since the previous owner had at least one head gasket repaired. What is an Oasis report and how do I find out what Ford has replaced on my vehicle while it was under warranty for previous owners?

My best choice is probably to replace the oil cooler as well when I have the manifold off and update everything from standpipes, dummy plugs, hpop stc fitting, turbo drain & feed lines. I have a long list written down so there might be more, but those are the ones that jump to my mind.

So basically my three questions are:

1. How are these deltas and should I check them during hotter weather for a better comparison?

2. How can I find out when and what ford has already replaced on my truck for previous owners?

3. What is the easiest way to tell if i need to do head gaskets and studs when I do my egr delete and other upgrades?

My coolant has puked before, but I've never really heard the tea kettle whistle and it might have been from me putting in too much coolant when i put the coolant filter on. I've read about the weak coolant caps and have the updated one ordered. Once I put the new coolant cap on should I top the coolant off to the new low line and clean everything up and see if it puts anymore white residue on the degas bottle?

I also want to thanks you guys in advance and for all the valuable info I've read on this forum.

Any thoughts you have on my quest for durability are appreciated as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
1. Yes

2. Oasis report hopefully someone with the ability will help you out

3. Block check (research it) or put a "tee" in your coolant line going to your degas bottle and ifyou get over 16psi then hg are bad

Degas Bottle cap... I would try that first if I was you it might be an easy fix.

your deltas seem "OK"... not great but not horrible. when you are going down a hill expect bigger deltas. also the test should be done going around 60-65mph (70 will give incorrect deltas)

AND the Coolant temp NEEDS to be 190* (if it is lower, then the deltas WILL BE wrong.)

Also, I suggest doing the coolant flush first and driving the truck for a week or two to clean the system BEFORE installing the NEW oil cooler.

People have problems if they flush and install the oil cooler at the same time due to the new oil cooler getting clogged with leftover junk in the coolant system.

No matter how well you flush, it is a good idea to drive a bit to run it through and get the leftover crap into the OLD cooler before swapping!!!

Good luck man
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
1. Yes

2. Oasis report hopefully someone with the ability will help you out
3. Block check (research it) or put a "tee" in your coolant line going to your degas bottle and if you get over 16psi then hg are bad I Just ordered the parts to make my own pressure test kit and it is going to be cheaper than dealing with that powerstrokehelp nut!

Degas Bottle cap... I would try that first if I was you it might be an easy fix.

your deltas seem "OK"... not great but not horrible. when you are going down a hill expect bigger deltas. also the test should be done going around 60-65mph (70 will give incorrect deltas) I went 65 steady and measured deltas after maintaining that speed for several minutes. They were 6-9 degrees mainly at 7 to 8 degress difference
AND the Coolant temp NEEDS to be 190* (if it is lower, then the deltas WILL BE wrong.) It was at least 190* but I'm going to be watching all the time now. I love the scnagauge. I just finished plugging 19 more xgauges into it tonight

Also, I suggest doing the coolant flush first and driving the truck for a week or two to clean the system BEFORE installing the NEW oil cooler. Even if I've been running a filter for 5,000 miles prior to the flush? Also, when should I initially change my coolant filter after new coolant bypass install?

People have problems if they flush and install the oil cooler at the same time due to the new oil cooler getting clogged with leftover junk in the coolant system.

No matter how well you flush, it is a good idea to drive a bit to run it through and get the leftover crap into the OLD cooler before swapping!!!

Good luck man
Thanks for your reply Also, I noticed you reside in the NW as well. I'm down in John Day, OR. So are you doing your head gaskets and studs or taking your truck somewhere?

If I end up needing head studs and gaskets do you know anyone good to go to down this way. It would be nice if they would do the egr delete at the same time. I know some shops won't because of emissions laws. If you don't maybe someone else can point me to someone that is proficient and efficient working on the 6.0, thorough, reasonably priced, and wouldn't mind if I provided all the parts.

Last edited by 03RaptorCV; 02-29-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM

Also, our trucks could almost be brothers.

My truck:

2005 F250 Lariat
5" lift with 35's
SCT X3 w/ID tunes
Sinister Coolant Filter
Air horn w/compressor
4" MBRP Exhaust
Scangauge II
Glowshift Pillar Gauges

What tunes are you running on your truck? I think I'm using the xtreme street 420 hp 700 tq if I remember right. I did whatever Eric @ ID told me to do. I do need a tow tune here soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.