blown head gasket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blown head gasket?

hello i am a new member and i think i might have a blown head gasket. let me start off by telling you a little about my truck. it has a stock motor in it now but i have everything needed to do the egr delete and put in the oil cooler and head studs. anyway i was driving home the other day when i got home i decided to look under the hood and found a little bit of coolant around the reservoir. just a little. so i get on here and look up info and found that if it were blown it would burp coolant when the engine has a load on it. so today i put in 4 wheel and start romping on it up some hills to see if it would burp coolant. well nothing when i popped the hood. do i have a blown hg? is there any other reason why i would find a small amount of coolant or water the first time around the brim of the coolant tank. sorry if this has been asked before but im fairly new to diesel engines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If the degas bottle is too full it can puke a coolant. Other than that it would be the head gaskets. Do a search on here for testing head gaskets. There area a million threads on it.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 AM

If your talking about where the radiator fluid goes around the cap it could be the cap it self. Mine did that and I replaced the cap and it fixed it
Old 02-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFordman87 View Post
If your talking about where the radiator fluid goes around the cap it could be the cap it self. Mine did that and I replaced the cap and it fixed it
X2 for replacing the cap. Of all the guys I know that drive SD's all of them have had to replace the cap at least once.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so i have not noticed any more coolant around the degass bottle. i have an appoitment with the shop to get the arp studs with egr delete and the oil cooler updated along with the sinister coolant filter setup on monday, my question is should i hold off on spending 4k? am i being paranoid on the blown HG? i mean there was some cooland around the degass bottle and now there has been none but i dont want to risk it. any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Its hard to say. But you can never go wrong with doing studs and er delete IMO
Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 AM

if you have the money....just do it. a lot of people on here do it for preventative maintenance cuz everyone knows the ford tty bolts arent worth anything.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

i have a question, i have an 03 6.0L and recently had the egr cooler replaced with a BPD egr cooler, now im running Truck Source Diesel panty dropper tune for trucks that arent studded. Now my question is i had coolant around the degas bottle and it was above the max line so i syphoned it off down to the min line and driving to work today i popped the hood and it had overflowed through the cap again, should i replace the cap or am im looking at a much bigger issue, possibly HG or oil cooler? any help would be appreciated because i really dont feel like wasting any money at this point.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Replace the cap and cross your fingers. Everyone I know has had to replace their cap at least once. If you still get coolant coming out the cap it is most likely HG's. You could also do the coolant pressure test to be sure or get the exhaust gas tester kit.

Last edited by Term3; 03-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

definitely picking up a cap today on my way home and i just did egr cooler, oil pans and an oil seal of some sort cant remember which but i just dumped 2300 in repairs at the mechanics, plus 800 in shocks and rear springs which i did myself and 1100 in tires so i really dont want to dump any more money into her for a while but will if i have too lol....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.