staying on top? or listening nervously? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
staying on top? or listening nervously?

truck: 04, early build, f550. Bought the truck 2.5 months ago. it had a blown egr, passed compression tests, but had the heads pulled and checked, arp's, oem gaskets, full bpd kit. ugraded up piping, new ipr, upgraded turbo oil return, egr baffle.... more things, long list. The list by the way was sourced by reading this site for about 3 months straight. So thank you.

So I have a sgII and monitor ICP boost, ect and eot. My question is this;
When starting the truck cold, it fires right off. 650-880psi for icp (I typically cycle the key 2-3 times depending on how cold. lower than 20* its plugged in. and I run 5w40 motorcraft synthetic.) when starting the truck warm, it fires right off but (hard to describe) it lags? it slowly comes up to idle? The rpms dont jump to life in a 1/2 second. it maybe takes 1 second, but the engine sounds different for a brief moment. ( there is literally a 1/2 second difference in time) No injector snap? I havnt noticed any difference in ICP, and there is no loss of power. at wot I'm up at 3800-4000psi, hard pulls up hill its 3600+. I just want to make sure if something is getting screwy I'm catching it now and not later. Is this normal?

Thanks. If this is covered somewhere else just point me in that direction. Searching for (lagging warm start) (odd hot start) etc returned nothing. Thanks guys

One way to possibly describe this best might be this;
The below numbers are representational of the way the engine brings itself to idle. (no " it should be cranking at 150rpm...")
Starting with the engine cold the rpms/time from cycle of key would look like so 50/.1 50/.2 50/.3 50/.4 50/.5 450/.6 950/.7 1200/.8 1000/.9 950/1.0
starting with the engine warm rpm/time from cycle of key would look like 50/.1 50/.2 50/.3 50/.4 50/.5 200/.6 375/.7 550/.8 650/.9 775/1.0 950/1.1
I hope I didn't make it more confusing. certainly seeing it written out it makes sense, the engine is warm and knowing so it doesn't need to explode to life... The sound of the two is very different though...just want to make sure.

Last edited by ddb maine; 02-26-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

does anyone elses truck act this way upon warm start?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

40 views and no responses. Have I offended someone? Have I been blacklisted from the org? well while I'm here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.