egr delete & new oil cooler => no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr delete & new oil cooler => no power

I finished up the egr delete and oil cooler replacement yesterday. took it for a test drive and had no power, its a 03' so I did the VGT relearn process and it seemed to work better, was able to drive around and it would build boost to about 21 psi with a little lag. thought it was the y pipe to turbo connection so I refit everything and tightened it down real good. today I started it up to test it out again and it was back to NO power, all connections seem fine. I tried the relearn process and still nothing. Any suggestions would be great.

I have been going to this forum for ALOT of answers now and finally decided to get an account to one day help people, much like you guys have done for me. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If it was the y-pipe it would hiss and its very obvious. You may need to work the truck for a while. You drained all the oil from HPOP and cooler. So it WILL run like crap. When I did mine I shot a little starting fluid just to move things along. Additionally, You drained all the fuel from the system to boot. Ensure all injectors have connectors on them. FICM connectors are tight. My advice is to drive it a while and see what happens.

Check oil. Check coolant for leaks. Look for fuel leaks.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM

I'm gonna order up new gaskets and clamps just in case, although there isn't a real noticeable hiss. However, there is a slight crack in the fuel filter cap, it doesnt drip, it bubbles extremely slow - Could this lead to a lack of pressure? I don't have anything to monitor fuel pressure. Thanks for the reply
Old 02-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

How about the map sensor hose, the hose that leads from the map sensor down to the intake manifold, make sure it is plugged in and free flowing, check the bung on the intake manifold, make sure it is not plugged. Clear all codes and try again, I have seen it, if not post back with any codes. Where are you located?

Dave
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cracked cap is a huge problem. Pick one up at FORD or ebay. I went with the billet aluminum one on ebay for $50 I was tired of stripping the plastic nut off. This is most likely your problem.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave At BD Power View Post
How about the map sensor hose, the hose that leads from the map sensor down to the intake manifold, make sure it is plugged in and free flowing, check the bung on the intake manifold, make sure it is not plugged. Clear all codes and try again, I have seen it, if not post back with any codes. Where are you located?

Dave
Located in maryland. I just checked the bung and that might be the problem. looks like a small crack at the base from prying that rust welded turbo and mount. The piece itself is bent but still in tack, but the base where it goes into the manifold is cracked. could pressure be escaping? my autometer gauge runs from a t in this hose but when i took it out the other day it would build to about 21 and 22 at wot with a slight exhaust leak.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If memory serves me correctly the nipple out of the intake is a fitting. You should be able to remove it and install a new one. I may be confusing it with the coolant one. Its been a while.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM

thanks nelapse, I will look into the new fitting, it seems to be reading manifold boost correctly but i'm sure that wont last forever. I'm gonna order up the billet cap tonight. I'll replace those and the gaskets/clamps and get back to you all. I think the clamp on the y-pipe is mis-shaped although a loud hiss isn't too apparent. could an aftermarket intake and straight pipe mess with the back pressure and maf readings when doing a relearn?
Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Sometimes it the simple things, let me know if the power comes back, remember to clear the codes
Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If y pipe isn't hissing your clamp is working fine. Trust me. It is EASY to get those things to hiss. If it is not, you did something right so save your money. The clamp at the turbo is VERY easy to over tighten so make sure you torque to factory specs. I dig the billet fuel cap. It is threaded with a plug so you can add a pressure gauge if you want. Work $50 hands down. DO NOT use o ring that is supplied. Its too small and will leak. Just get a new ford one. Thicker and better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.