NEVER ENDING SOMEONE PLEASE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry NEVER ENDING SOMEONE PLEASE

Im on here once again with my 03 6 liter diesel. Here is my issue today.
My truck will start when it feels like it as weird as it sounds. Sometimes it will start after is been running and sometimes it wont. Sometimes it will start when its cool and sometimes it wont.

Before i was having this issue my truck needed to be plugged in to start and it wasnt cold at all. did the ficm test and it was bad, replaced the ficm with a 58 volt ficm and still same thing. replaced the crank sensor, icp sensor and ipr valve and same thing, replaced fuel filter and nothing exact samething. replaced the hpop, stand tubes and had the shead gaskets done with the stud and egr delete roughly about 2000km ago. Here is the wierd thing that i have notice when the truck does start and i go to shut it off and start it right back up with in a minute sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont( doesnt matter cold or hot and when it doesnt start no smoke at the exhaust)
When i have a freind crank it over i can hear air by the secondary filter when he just turnes the key on. Is this normal? I have check all the wires and im not pulling any codes on my sct live wire. Ive checked the complete harness for wiring and everything seems fine. If it was sucking air would i get smoke at all out of my exhaust and would it still fire or what??

Im so tired of this thing and running out of money

The shop is telling me 8 to 10 weeks to get it in and im located in a remote commuinity with only 1 dealer and the next closest one to me is 2000 km away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you hearing it suck air I would think that it's not getting fuel or enough fuel to start so I would look into that more and try to see where it's coming from. That's my 2 cents
Old 02-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Also check the cap for cracks and the gasket for damage.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Gottcha I thought it would be blowing the air out so i used a spray bottle with soap and never once seen any bubbles. Also i find when it does start and i take it for a drive it has tons of power but when i shut it of cold or hot it wont start. If i leave it sit for a couple of hour the old girl will fire up, but like i said i can start it when its cold shut it off for a sencond start it again and shut it off and try the 3rd time and it will just crank but wont start ( NO EXHAUST OUT OF THE TAIL PIPE EITHER WHEN I DO THIS)
Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This may sound silly, But I have seen this before and the problem turned out to be the oil filter cap. Some oil filters come with new plastic caps. The new plastic caps are not the same size height wise and will cause issues similar to this. Just a thought.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you say you have the stc does it show the voltage on the ficm while cranking
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Check the electric wire at the injector pump and see if it is getting power when it won't start. It could be a oil pressure cut out switch. So start trouble shooting like that when it won't start. And if you have alarm system especially after market see if that is your problem. Some times you need to disconnect it and try. Get back to me after you try checking the injection pump.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
This may sound silly, But I have seen this before and the problem turned out to be the oil filter cap. Some oil filters come with new plastic caps. The new plastic caps are not the same size height wise and will cause issues similar to this. Just a thought.
I'll ditto this. Also, make sure the top of your standpipe springs the way it should (it acts like a valve). Check your oil level. I'd be most interested to know what your cranking ICP is - that will help you determine if it's a oil issue or a fuel issue. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.