05 6.0 Crank No Start when Cold (unless plugged in) Oil Leak at rear of engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 05 6.0 Crank No Start when Cold (unless plugged in) Oil Leak at rear of engine

05 F350 6.0 with 72K miles. Over the summer I started having crank no start problems both hot and cold. After about a month, the problem went away on its own - weird. However, over the past few months I've been having crank no start problems again when cold unless plugged in (ouside temp 45F). I also had a small oil leak at the rear of the engine that has evolved into a fairly decent leak. I ordered a IPR valve in hopes the o-ring has worn out and that is causing my leak and possibly the crank no start when cold. Other symptoms include a small amout of oil under the turbo. I haven't pulled the turbo to see if the leak is actually coming from the IPR yet but, based on what I've read thru the forums it is probably my best bet. Anyone want to chime in confirm this could be my problem or suggest other ideas? BTW - I'm not by any means a deisel tech or mechanic but, am attempting dig in as I cannot afford the Ford dealer rates. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oil leak could be the IPR, rear main, and multiple things on the topside of the engine. Gonna needt o trace that down. What is your FICM voltage? Any codes? I would be looking at your FICM voltage and checking glowplugs and the relay.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

an oil leak can be several things , from rear main seal to a spilt cac boot at turbo, ipr doesnt leak externally and icp isnt at the back on that model engine , before throwing any parts at this truck, more diag needs to be done before wating any money on buying parts , as far as the cranking issue , either a internal engine oil leak , stc fitting or dummy plug being the case or even a fuel injector control module trying to go out , get the codes scanned and see what may be in meory and that will possibly lead you into the right direction a little better
Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Scuffy828 and Justa03! I will see if there are any codes and check the FICM voltages. As an FYI, ICP was replaced under warranty in December of 2010.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would say that generally a HPO leak will cause the truck to start hard hot or even a no start, but being cold and starts better/easier when plugged in it would be in the glowplug system or the FICM. PCM needs to be scanned for codes and ICP and FICM values need to be known for more help.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had it in the shop over the summer for crank-no-start and no codes then but will be ordering AutoEnginuity to check for codes and FICM voltages. In the meantime, I will use my DVM to check the FICM voltages. I don't think there is a glowplug issue since the service engine has never illuminated. Seems when I have the crank-no-start I am not getting any fuel; like the oil pressure fails to meet min pressure to feed fuel. Like I said earlier, I'm far from even a backyard mechanic but, I am willing to dig in to learn how to fix these beasts.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Justa03 & Scuffy - FICM voltages are 48.3 - 48.5 with key on, cranking and running. Measurements were taken this morning and it was 28*F and the truck was not plugged in overnight. Another note to add here. For the first time, I had a crank no start when hot yesterday everytime I tried to start. Also, the truck fired right up this morning when cold. ARGHH!! I have not been able to see if there are codes but, see if I can borrow a buddy's reader until AE shows up. Back to the oil leak, I didn't pull the turbo off but, from I could see around the IPR it was pretty clean. There is however a fair amout of oil on the bottom of the turbo and on the turbo out fitting. I have posted photos for your reference. Thoughts?

Flickr: DaDuke2012's Photostream
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The oil on your CAC boots is normal. And that oil "leak" on the driveway isn't much of a leak to worry about if that's 6 months of accumulation.

Sounds like you have a high pressure oil leak somewhere. Get your AE or another reader to check out your ICP and IPR readings while you turn over the engine.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Evil Eye, et al., - Thanks for the info. I have confimed there are no codes and FICM voltages are good. Unfortunately, I won't be unable to get the IPR or IPC readings until AE gets here. Quick question, if my truck starts when cold and I run her for awhile (like 30-min to work) and I have a bad o-ring or discharge fitting in the HPOP, am I potenially doing damage to the engine? When she runs, she runs smooth - no rough idle or hiccups.

Thanks again everyone for your time and help!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nope. I ran my truck like that for over a year since the techs couldn't figure out what the problem was. Of course, mine happened many years ago when we were still trying to figure out some of the quirks of this engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2005 f350, crank no start, oil leaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.