6.0 oil running a little warm..need help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 oil running a little warm..need help

I have some oil cooler questions. I have a 2005 F-350 crew cab with an SCT programmer, Edge insight screen,EGR Delete, fuel spring update, 4" inch turbo back exhaust. I recently drove my truck to colorado from Iowa pulling a 24' enclosed trailer and my oil temperature was averaging 220-233..i'd hit the higher temp on the real steep grades..my coolant temp was anywhere from 180 to 201, but as soon as i'd unhook the trailer the temp would drop to 178 for coolant and around 200 for oil..which is what it normally runs at..what is too hot for the oil temp? How hard is the oil cooler to change or is there any other options to get that oil temp down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
thats getting warm. how heavy was the trailer? what do your ect vs eot run with no trailer?

heres my oil cooler write up to.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...188&highlight=

Last edited by 2003kingranch; 02-21-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think the trailer weighed about 2400 empty..and when im running my truck with no trailer unloaded my EGT's run anywhere from 500-700 depending on how fast im going..and my oil temp never usually gets over 200 and my coolant usually stays below 180
Old 02-21-2012, 08:58 PM

I'm doing my oil cooler right now. My oil temps on mine I've seen as high as 240 degrees towing a car and dolly. Without a load on my engine my oil cooler will run about 210 degrees. I got this Superchips 1855 tuner about 2 months ago, and it give me an option to monitor various different things on my vehicle. This is how I found out my oil cooler was plugged. I've never seen my engine run more than 183 degrees on my scan guage. Sounds like your going to need a cooler in the future. The only major PIA thing when doing the oil cooler is removing the turbo. Make sure you do an EGR Delete if you haven't done one yet.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Yep your oil cooler is toast. My truck runs ect188 and oil temp never goes over 190. Unless towing. That's how it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003kingranch View Post
Yep your oil cooler is toast. My truck runs ect188 and oil temp never goes over 190. Unless towing. That's how it should be.
What should I replace my cooler with? A factory one or is there an upgraded one that flows and cools better? I was also thinking about going with a coolant filter system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2005 f350 king ranch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.