Edge platinum vs SCT Qs & my horror story - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge platinum vs SCT Qs & my horror story

About 1-2 years ago I put in ARP headstuds on my 2005 6.0L and replaced head gasket.I already had 4" cat delete exhaust. LATER ON I deleted EGR, added coolant filtration, replaced oil cooler and added SCT Tuner. I was told they were Innovative diesel tunes, but I got the tuner through FCDP. Soon after, I started to get my first cooant pukes.

I had an Edge Platinum before, but based on all the forum feedback I got, i went to the SCT. Apparently the Edge is too generic for many trucks and many said I was going to eventually have issues, whereas the SCT was custom and better (this is the feedback i got).

I just had head gasket replaced as I started puking coolant soon after this. Naturally, the shop immediately blames the tuner/chip. The diesel performance shops all tell me they NEVER had head gasket jobs return after doing ARP studs and deleting EGR. Heads were checked and are not cracked or warped.

Is it safe to at least run tow tune? I will never run the extreme or race tunes again as I'm too scared.

Since I only plan to run tow, can I use my Edge and just not program the tuner? I always kept my Edge plugged in to monitor temps and ran it on "0". I never ever stacked the tuners.

95% of the time I ran on tow tune, and occasionally I ran the extreme SCT tune but did not drive like a maniac. I definitely stomped the gas pedal a few times but let off right away when I saw how quickly the exhaust temps skyrocketed.

Let me be clear that I am not looking to blame anyone and I am not whining. I am stuck with a Ford 6.0L and I just want to never have another head gasket job again (I hope that's not wishful thinking!!).

I worry that even tho Edge says "0", maybe there is some weird thing going on. Shop told me to just run stock and i won't have to worry. All I want is more tow power when I tow, i have tons of power running empty on stock set up. Thanks for your feedback on whether it's okay to run Edge on tow and just remove the SCT.

forgot to add: I have 80K miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

wow you've got a lot going on, I am not a pro at these diesels by a long shot but a question, did you have the heads decked, (surfaced) what about the exhaust manifolds surfaced, is the block flat, are you still using ford gold coolant. the end result is only as good as the prep work is. I am going through a major rebuild right now so these things are fresh to me. when my truck is done it will be tuned by PHP roll back and ECM reflash with the 25 HP extreme tow, with the edge insight CTS used for gauges.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM

When you had the arp studs put in did you use eom gasket set or that known to fail black onyx set. Everyone who didn't use eom set got 10-30k and had to put new gaskets. Plus I keep hearing you need to run a different coolant than the gold ford stuff. Just some food for thought
Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Which headgaskets were used? I have seen black onyx failures with the studs in place. Ive read where most people are now using the Ford headgaskets and the ARP studs. I would have no problems running the SCT on race with even just headbolts, watch your temps and keep everything in check and you should be ok. Were the oil cooler and egr cooler replaced with the headgaskets or aftrer? If so was the cooler replaced due to it leaking? The reason I ask is because if your dumping alot of coolant into the cylinder remember fluid does not compress and turns into a hyrdraulic in the cylinder lifting the heads if there is enough coolant going into the cylinder.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not the tuner

never heard of the SCT causing that issue. I daily drive my 2005 6.0l on performance. I have a sct livewire.. with custom tunes from Innovative and love the power.. but the mileage goes down by like 1mpg. The addiction wore off and i just left it on the canned performance tune from SCT. i dont have studs.. but i did delete my EGR and had the oil cooler replaced. Also have coolant filtration... oil bypass kit, 5 inch straight pipe (4inch dp to deleted cat) S&B CAI, zoodad mod.

Not sure why you would be puking coolant... that's caused by too much pressure in the cooling system. When the EGR cooler ruptures it causes coolant to leak into the cylinders which cannot be compressed which is why you lift your heads and blow gaskets. I heavily doubt your problem is tuner related friend...
Old 02-21-2012, 02:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If i could go back i would flush my coolant and run ELC... either CAT or zerex. Running a coolant filter will help.. but in end ford gold is crap coolant...
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Yeah this weekend I'm going to flush that ford gold coolest out cuz we are going to drag strip and I know on the way there and the way home I wish be running the s*** out of it racing people cuz I will have my act live wire tuner in
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 PM

definitely ford gaskets. I run Ford gold. I just can't see coolant causing these issues, considering how I drive and what I'm doing.

Another pizz off...I can guarantee I've watched gauges like a hawk. I drive to and watch my exhaust temp and also watch engine coolant and oil temps and boost (all on my Edge Attitude/Platinum). When I have run performance tune on the SCT, I hit the pedal to see what I had, over a matter of seconds. Maybe did this 3 times ever. The exhaust would spike quick and I'd let off immediately. So for less than 2 seconds my exhaust momentarily reached 1300, then under 1200, and I rarely am over 1200 ever. Again, this is as extreme as I ever get. Mostly I want to tow my tow hauler up steep grades with some oomph. Not pistol fast, just faster than semis.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 AM

I went for a WOT pull in my truck last night with the Looney Tune in and the highest I got to was 1500*. That was a 0-100 pull. Again you didnt answer my first questions, was the EGR and Oil cooler done during the head job or afterwards? If the cooler ruptured after doing the headstuds it wouldnt suprise me the heads lifted again, a fluid cannot be compressed and turns into a hydraulic lifting the heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.