Engine or Turbo making weird noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine or Turbo making weird noise

Hey I'm new to the forum I have a 04 f-250 with a 6.0 in it and it had like 87000 miles on. I was towing my boat and this past weekend while going up a hill the turbo or engine started to make a weird noise and loses some power. It wouldn't make the noise at first while going up the hill but after going up a couple hills it would start to make the weird noise and lose some power. Then I would let out of the throttle a little for a while and it would go back to normal. The oil, coolant, and engine temperature didn't change but i don't know what the turbo temperatures were i don't have a turbo gauge. any help is much appreciated

Last edited by azbassin; 02-21-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Carbon huffing animal

need a little more detail on the "strange noise".

Did it pop, did it squeal, did it whine or drone?? All helpful information. Did it change proportionally with the RPM of the engine, or the load of the engine?

What were your oil temps and coolant temps during the condition?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It could also be a blown or torn boot on the CAC tubes on a 04 the drivers side will be plastic unless it has been changed out, this is also known to split. The passenger side is aluminum. Each has 2 rubber hose looking things (boots) clamped onto the tubes.

These will sometimes get oil saturated and blow off makeing a whoooing or whooshing noise and loss of power.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it was more of a drone noise, the load was the same it would just happen while going up a steep grade for a while, it happen while going through the mountains. The rpms would stay the same but it seemed like once it started to make the noise it would drop a couple hundred rpms. I'm not sure what the temperatures were it just has the stock gauges where it shows if its getting hot, i just checked one of the boots it is covered on the outside with oil is that what you mean by saturated or it has just absorbed a lot of oil?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yea thats what I mean. Only look for the oil on the inside the boot. Oil makes the rubber softer and it can slide off the tube under accelleration. If the clamp was positioned near the end of the tube it will actually slide back in place sometimes and look ok. Give it a had tug and see if it comes off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.