Odd cooling fan cycling issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Odd cooling fan cycling issues

Friday I was driving my 2004 F350 up a long grade I think the sign said 6 or 8% and I was pulling my 14K fifth wheel camper and was steadily watching my oil and coolant temp rise and when my oil temp hit 230 (coolant 216)the fan kicked on and started cycling up and down like an engine reving. The EOT/ECT Delta is not normally that high and is back to the 6 to 10 degrees which it is normally. I felt lucky I only had another 100 yards or so to the top the truck was down to 45MPH at this point!! This thing is a dog compared to the 08 6.4 I traded for it. I have only had this truck a few months an haven't heard the fan come on before but this is the first time it has been 65 degrees while towing since I have owed it. The only things I have done to my truck are the oil cooler/cooling system flush,CAT Rated ELC, dieselsite filter and EGR delete. I think it may be related to the EGR delete but I am not sure. When I did my delete I tig welded stainless plugs in my EGR cooler to block exhaust flow and left the EGR valve in and plugged in. I did take the EGR valve out and cleaned it so I know it is not stuck. After much research before my EGR delete I thought the fan control issues on the 2004 were eliminated by leaving the EGR valve plugged in. I do have the low egr flow code but no CEL from it. I know there are a lot of people with non-tuned EGR Deleted 2004 trucks so I hope someone has had this happen and has an answer. I hate to think I'm going to have to tune it to make the fan work right because that means studs and studs just aren't in the budget. Any insight would be great!!

Also I think my batteries could be heading south. What is normal voltage range? When my glow plugs are on my insight is reading close to twelve volts but it will go up to the upper 13s after a few minutes but fluctuates. I think this is causing my FICM voltage to vary. I noticed this today while crusing pulling 14K turning 2000 rpm. It was between 47.5v and 48v but would dip to 46v every now and then. I'm a little concerned this could lead to dead injectors. Truck runs great just has a few issues to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have '05 Ex which has the '04 engine and when I did my delete I got a CEL that would come on after a short while of driving. Got a tuner to turn off the EGR valve but now I get the CEL coming on with the throttle body position code but it does not throw a code all the time. About the temperature, I am thinking your thermostat may need to be replaced as they are a fairly common problem area.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The fan should have come on long before 230, so you might have an issue there. I can't remember at what temp it is supposed to kick in at. You did leave the EGR valve plugged in so that is not the problem. I am assuming that this is the first time you experienced this problem....? Check the wiring to the clutch fan, did it get damaged when you did the work to the truck?, or previous work someone else did?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Sounds perfectly normal for an 8% grade. How long was it?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Voltage will drop to about 11.6 when glow plugs are on. Once they are off it will increase to anywhere from 13.6 to 14.2 depending on what accessories you have on.

How old are your batteries?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

I would say it was at least a mile. I figured the temps were pretty normal considering the load and distance of the climb. The fan cycling thing kinda freaks me out a bit. I will have to check the fan connections tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 AM

I have seen that quite a few times. Usually sets with a P0528 code I think. As stated above check your wiring for the fan clutch, but more then likely I would say the fan clutch is bad. Pull the shroud and pull the fan, install new fan, test drive and I bet your problems are fixed for the cycling fan. As for your voltages I would say they are about normal, usually they seem to cycle between 47.5 and 48 volts when watching FICM_M voltage. And your comparing two complete different trucks for power between the 6.4 and 6.0. The 6.4 when tuned right is an animal. The 6.0 I feel is a healthy motor and if there are issues with it, it generally will get you home. I see way more complete motor failures with the 6.4 by far then I do with the 6.0. If I were you I would get a SCT on that thing ASAP with a known tuner. You dont have to push it to the point where your gonna need headgaskets and studs. I used Vivian for my tunes and completely satisfied with the cust service and the truck runs better then it did stock all around. Just let them know that your not studded and dont wanna turn it up that hot, they will build you a towing tune for whatever your wanting to use the truck for. Good luck and I would be looking at that fan clutch......
Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

Checked the codes and no cooling fan codes. It did have a fault code for a cam position sensor bank 1 I believe and the usual insufficient EGR flow code. Cleared them hopefully the Cam Position sensor code is false and wont come back. I checked the clutch fan wiring and it looked ok. I guess I'll have to shell out $284. for a new fan clutch!! I hope that is it because that's a lot of money to guess at it.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 PM

Subscribe. I have never towed with my new edge insight so tomorrow I'm towing my 10k 5th wheel and I always hear my fan... Seems to fluctuate a lot. Like up and down. So I wanted to hear some results. Thanjs

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 AM

Not sure what all you can monitor with the Edge but the few trucks ive had come in would only do it when towing a load and would jump up on ECT temps. If you can monitor the cooling fan speed actual and desired. If the actual is very erratic and the desired is steady I would say you have a fan clutch issue, seem to see quite a few failures with them in my experience. You are border line with the ECT and EOT delta also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.