Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Blue Spring Fuel Pressure Questions

21K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  JIM_C 
#1 ·
Hooked up my EAS system to the EDGE CTS and found out today that my fuel pressure at idle is ~48 psi. I'm going to install the blue spring next weekend and was wondering the following:

Of those who already installed this upgrade, did you see a noticeable difference in performance?

When did Ford upgrade the spring? Did some production trucks have this already installed?

When I installed the hose for the pressure gauge I noticed a small dot of blue paint on the cover that encloses the spring and on the housing itself. I was thinking that maybe this truck already and the upgrade by a dealer and this is a way of marking the truck? Or is this just a coincidence?

What's the official pressure at idle and WOT that Ford recommends?

I understand that if the pressure is too low, the rear two cylinders will be starved of fuel. If that's the case, without the blue spring upgrade, we're no better than a Cummins! ;)

#2 ·
I actually have that blue dot as well on my 2006 KR. I was thinking and hoping it meant that i already had blue spring as well. Guess not ! Funny thing is that I also just ordered edge fuel pressure sensor. Should be here Monday. I'll let you know what my fuel pressure is at once I get it installed.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
interesting observation, i hope someone can answer this. i'm going to check mine. 58psi at idle, 50psi at wot. not sure if i have the upgrade.

#4 ·
Just got finished installing the blue spring. The blue dot did not mean the blue spring was installed. My idle pressure was 48 psi @ idle. Now it's 63 psi at idle and WOT is now 52 psi. What a difference this upgrade made. The truck is much more responsive now.

#5 ·
Hope I do this right! First time posting. I installed the EAS fuel pressure sensor last night. 46-48 psi at idle. Dropped to slightly under 45 psi a couple of times when driving. Way to scared to try WOT. Ordered the bluespring kit last week from Tousley. Hope it comes soon. I'm going out right now to buy an analog gauge to see if the Edge sensor is reading correctly. I'll post my results.

#6 ·
Well, got a fuel pressure gauge (a cheap Equus) and tested the EAS sensor. It was bang on at 46 to 48 psi. I guess I have a nice lawn ornament until the blue spring kit arrives. After I'll try testing the sensor over a wider range. I was also hoping the blue dot meant the blue spring was in there. Guess not. On the bright side I've got to think the Edge CTS saved me a big bill as well as having some peace of mind my ECT and EOT delta is OK, for now.
I should also say I've been trolling this sight for almost a year. What a wealth of information you all are. Thanks!

#7 ·
I just installed my Insight with fuel pressure and I have 50 psi at idle and drops to 37 at WOT. I already had the blue spring installed last year when my delete/cooler/studs were done. I just replaced filters too with no change. Any suggestions?

#8 ·
Hey, you did setup that sensor in MyStyle to: Mapping 0-100 psi and in the Voltage catagory 0.500v = 0.00psig 4.500v = 100.00psig ? If so and you think they are true readings like mine, I would take a look at the Ford Diagnostic Flowchart's concerning fuel pressure. They are probably on this site somewhere. If you want I could try and upload what I've got. It's where I would start.
This is the first time I've ever been on a forum so I may make a mess of it, but I could try.

#10 ·
I keep losing my internet connection. When I set up mine on MyStyle it automatically set the pressures to the voltages. If that's OK then I would look at:
-if you saw the pressure up around 60-65psi after the bluespring install, it's probably not this, but some people have noticed the brass cup that comes with the kit fit's too tight and messes with their pressures. If you have the old cup you could put it back in. (but use the bluespring)
-plugged sender unit in the tank (there's a bulletin about tanks delaminating) I included a ford/napa procedure to test
-fuel pump

Hopefully it might be the brass cup. It's cheap and easy.

Attachments

#11 ·
I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. Just installed my edge fuel pressure gauge and I'm sitting at 49 psi at idle. drove truck a little bit and it drops to about 45 at half throttle. Luckily in the three months I've had truck, I've driven very little on the highway and haven't really opened it up yet. I too am scared to run it at WOT. who knows what pressure will drop to. who knows how long its been like that and how previous owner drove it. hopefully the injectors aren't messed up. Truck seems to run fine.

I'll be getting blue spring soon, but probably won't have time to install till next week.

Think I'll be okay driving it as long as I keep off the pedal too hard for the next few days?

need truck to go to work and don't really have a choice.

Also, anyone have any tips for getting the CAC tube off and out of the way when I do this install?

I've heard it is a pain the azz to get off.

Thanks

#12 ·
I was just thinking to that I have not changed or looked at my fuel filters since buying the truck. Would clogged filters cause a lower psi?

#17 ·
I didn't take my tube off-- I just worked around it. You need a T27 torx bit, but a T25 will work in a pinch. How do I know? Because I dropped by T27 bit into the truck and heard it hit the frame somewhere. Make sure you have a couple of bits as back-ups, especially if this is your only vehicle or you'll be dead in the water.

Also, if you are going to use the new cover, make sure you break loose the brass fitting between the cover and the fuel line. If you don't, you'll have a hard time getting it off the old cover after you have it off.

Oh, on my 2006 I didn't use the black plastic plug and associated o-ring as my truck didn't have this part installed from factory and there was no way to install it. (The kit must be for a wide range of years and versions.)

Mine was 48 psi at idle. Now, it's 63-65 psi and doesn't go below 55 WOT.

hope this helps.

#15 ·
Yeah, I have that link bookmarked on my computer. very useful info. I'm trying to figure out where I can find the torque specs for this plastic CAC tube that needs to be removed for tightening back up purposes. Any ideas?

#19 ·
getting ready to do blue spring today as well as change both fuel filters. I have the step by step instructions bookmarked. I have one question before I get started that I didn't see anywhere in the instructions: Is there something I need to do once spring and both fuel filters are changed before I go to start engine to purge air out of system? Is this necessary? I know I need to cycle key to fill up bowl with fuel, but anything else?

Thanks, trying to avoid any rough starts, rough running, rough idle, etc.

#20 ·
Yes, cycle ignition three times for 30 secs each without starting engine. This will refill fuel filter reservoir with fuel.

Tip: get yourself a turkey baster from the buck store to remove fuel from fuel filter reservoir so you don't make a big mess when removing the plate. Also have a spare T27 torx bit on hand just in case you drop one in the engine bay like me.

#21 ·
cool, but there is nothing else that needs to be done to purge air out of system on either primary or secondary fuel filter? Do I need to cycle and fill fuel bowl with cover off or on?

#22 ·
My Bluespring worked out well. Raised fuel pressure from 46-48psi to 63-65 psi. WOT = 55psi. The Edge sensor reads the same as the mechanical gauge.
I did have a bit of a problem getting the CAC tube back on. The bottom was never fully on to the stops. I'm getting a little older and stiffer than I used to be! I used ratchet tie down straps and they popped right together. This might help.
New rear brakes today.

Attachments

#23 ·
well, got the blue spring and change of fuel filters done today. I have had the truck for about 5 months and hadn't changed filters yet. as you can see, they were pretty dirty. Blue spring was fairly easy, an I ended up only using spring and keyhole o-ring. Pressur was 49 psi at idle before and now its 70, so I guess it worked. I couldn't get the nut loose for the fuel line so I just left cover on and reused old cover and hardware. I also reused old brass cup becuase I had heard of guys having issues with the new brass cup.

Look at the junk that came out of the primary fuel filter below. What in the world could that be? It's not oil, as it felt gritty. Also, the primary filter is like half brown, half white, why would that be? The primary filter looked a little different than the motorcraft ones I bought to replace with. Does that look like the wrong one?

As you can see, the fuel filters were extremely dirty and definitely needed to be changed. I have had aweful fuel mileage ever since I bought the truck. Could this have contributed to that? Maybe it will get better now.

Getting ready to take it out for a drive now, we'll see if it drives any differently.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

#24 ·
Looks like the filters haven't been changed in a while. The primary filter is only half dirty because it was only half filtering. The Motorcraft filter has a pinhole in one end to allow the fuel to displace the air so the entire filter is utilized. Knock-off brands don't have the pinhole.

#25 ·
That's crazy, I am so glad I changed these filters. Hopefully, this didn't cause any injector damage. Just took it for a drive and wow! Maybe it's just in my head, but it sure seems to run a lot smoother and throttle response definitely seems better.

So are you pretty sure those filters that were in there were not motorcraft?

#27 ·
IMO, those don't look like Motorcraft filters... all of the Motorcraft filters I've seen are a tan color-- these look black on the ends.

After I changed mine, the truck did run smoother and had more response, so maybe it's in my head as well! :)

Mine were just as dirty. The stuff in the filter was grime and dirt and looks to be water. Make sure you drain the water out of your system every 30 days or so. Do this like clockwork.

And now that you have better fuel pressure, run it. The 6.0 doesn't like to be treated like a baby.

Enjoy!

Bill

#29 ·
Drilled the hole in drivers side exhaust manifold just before the bend where it turns to the up pipe. If you search "EGT probe", there are a few write ups with pictures of where to put it. I believe dieselmanor.com also has some instructions with pics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.