Truck Surging/Iratic Idle/Stall - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Truck Surging/Iratic Idle/Stall

I'm new to the threads as far as registration goes but I have always came to this site for my previous problems and usually use the already provided information to fix my problem. Now my wife is barking at me for spending to much time on the computer so I figured id join amongst all of your fine members and post my problem/question.

My truck is a 2003 f250 6.0 with 143K miles, Quadzilla Programmer, and no real other mods except for the do-rad (not sure if thats the right way to spell it) and muffler delete. I first noticed the problem when driving roughly 50-60 mph and the truck just dropped all of a sudden then jumped right back up and started idling all crazy then a few miles down the road skipped all crazy and started back idling normal. Then the surging came along at the red lights where I almost met a few 18 wheelers and pissed off a few people. Its been doing the same thing now ever since with it seeming to do it the majority of the time within the first 10 miles. While driving at lower RPMS steadily the rpms/idle will jump up all of a sudden also to where I dont even have to give it gas to coast me through the field. This morning while backing out the drive and coming to a stop it completely stalled and shut off then started right back up and a mile down the road had another drop off and irregular idle.

I just finished replacing the fuel filters which were pretty bad...real bad...I tested the FICM and got 49 through all three tests. Pulled the EGR valve and it was a little grimmy so I cleaned it up and plan on unhooking it all together tomorrow morning and doing another test to see if it runs better with it unhooked. The only problem is sometimes it will run fine for a day, then the next day it starts acting up again. Ive never replaced any injectors since Ive owned the truck (60K miles). On the coldest days lately on start up it has fired up and then choked out within first few seconds and then fired right back up and acted fine.

Im guessing if the EGR disconnect doesnt bring resolution the next step would be to pull and check the ICP? Im interested to see what you guys may see as the possible problem(s).

Thank you in advance for all of the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Any troube codes? To hazard a total guess, sounds like the IPR is freaking out or your having HPOP issues. Wiring harness issues also cause random problems. Check for codes and see if you have any low ICP codes. again this is a total guess. Wheat we really need here is some more solid data. CHEERS.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry for the delay in response....Yesterday I was on the way to get codes pulled on the truck and half way through the trip I started having black smoke pouring out of the exhaust and loss of power without being able to get over 1250 rpms. After driving another 5 miles trying to make it to my destination I can to a stop light and the truck died on me and wouldnt start back up. After having my buddy tow me back to the house I pulled the EGR valve again and the o-rings were shot to pieces with the bottom o-ring being lodged in the valve. So I cleaned the valve back up, cleaned the opening port while vacuuming to insure a good and tight fit. Truck started back up and is running again.

Im thankful to have the truck back running but it is still doing the surge thing that it was before. My buddy/mechanic that towed me back said he thinks it is the CPS and would start with that? Sorry for the lack of information here, I would have some codes but I didnt quite make it there yesterday. Also, do you think it would hurt the truck driving it the way it is? Could low oil levels cause the truck to run like this? All measurements are showing good but just curious. Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Latest update on the truck...I changed the oil/filters with motorcraft 15w-40 and it has taken the surging out now......whenever the truck is warm. I started plugging the truck in now and in the mornings it will crank, idle will jump then within first 2 miles will surge/buck/skip a few times until the engine is warm then it runs smoother than a babies butt and idles perfect!

Once I get to work though and the truck sits all day without being plugged in and it starts right up but idles rough right off the bat and will hardly go any where no matter how much gas I give it for the first couple of miles then once its warm it runs great...better than it has in a while. It seems to have a loss of power but ive been driving it with the progammer for the past two years and have it disconnected now so Im thinking it may be in my head?

I am thinking about letting it cycle for another few weeks then trying to change to 5w-40 along with some Rev-X...Oh, I also changed the CPS with the last oil and filter change and truck isnt blowing any type of smoke during start up.

Last edited by Diesel_Hunter; 02-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

When my 04 F250 was around 128K it started doing the same thing. Not knowing about the engines as I do now, I threw some oil changes and filter changes at it and ignored it thinking the quick fixes would correct it. Low and behold it turned out to be my EGR Cooler and HPOP. The got replaced around 135K.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Problem has been solved! It turned out to be the ICP Sensor. Replaced her, cleared the KAM and now shes back to running like a champ!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Im having similar issues. Turbo is surging badly every time I let off the go pedal. Yesterday the egt's wouldn't stop climbing. Sometime to 1200 at idle but averaged around 800. If I through it in neutral and stepped on it a few times then it would drop back down to around 400. I had some sort of turbo code but cleared the dtc's and didn't write it down. Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same problem here, I just did all 8 injectors, new turbo inlet pipe, ICP sensor, MAP sensor and all fluids and filters changed. I was originally thinking IPR valve but im not sure now. Could it possibly be faulty ICP installed? I pulled the turbo last week so now its just sitting for me to decide what to replace. set codes before parked last that included low contribution from multiple cylinders, low boost, Map sensor, and pcm if i remember correctly. trying to get a scanner so i can read and erase myself. Glad you got it fixed Diesel Hunter

Last edited by TheRedDragon; 07-21-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.