04 f550 fuel starvation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 f550 fuel starvation

Had a issue lately where the truck runs great, starts good but at 60 mph will act like not getting fuel, ended up replacing injector 5, runs better than ever, ficm is good, getting no codes, will take off like a rocket then starve and must feather throttle, new fuel filters, removed fuel tank and inspected pickup and fixed guage at same time,new fuel lines to hfcm, fired right up, idles well, will tach up in park, no stumble going into drive, can punch her a bit,she has great power,but runs low on fuel, doesnt even run rough just go's limp, no cel, no smoke,secondary fuel bowl is near empty, is hfcm gone south ? Nuthin' else to change in supply to hfcm all new, good fresh fuel, will sit and run @idle and yard drive all day long....... Help,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM

Do you have a metal fuel tank by chance? Also some tanks have delamanation issues. Could you pick up be getting cloged up.

DTS Articles - Fuel Tank Contamination
Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 PM

no,like i said i just dropped the tank today and inspected the p/up,and no dirt or problems in the tank,
Old 02-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Emergency Services

Sounds like your pump is going out, you've ruled out the filters and the pickup tube being the issue..next logical step would be pump
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolgrip426 View Post
no,like i said i just dropped the tank today and inspected the p/up,and no dirt or problems in the tank,

oops , missed that part. Pluged vent, bad gas cap? ? If you have a vac pump you could see how much vac it takes to draw the fuel from the tank. I think the spec is 5 in wc I am 80% sure. Might look at fuel pressure regulator.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 02-17-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:39 AM

she has a new blue spring and ran great with it installed,I have a nice snap on pressure testing guage,but can't find the fitting anywhere,even at 2 hydraulic shops,(gonna order one today),I have a new ford HFCM pump arriving this morning,yep,I checked all the free stuff by dropping the tank,pulling the sending unit, and changing lines,she runs well enough that I can't find any leaks in the system,and I am sure that the pump is the issue,just was curious to know if these things will run well 1 minute, then like crap the next with the same pump. thanks for the replies.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM

If it turns out to not be a fuel delivery issue you may want to consider this.

Check your fuel system for exhaust gases blowing into the system, if it is a real small leak it would take a while to build enough pressure to force the fuel backwards in the system.

Easyest test is diable FICM and fuel pump remove filter cover and with a helper roll the engine over a few times and see if bubbles show up in the filter houseing. For a very small leak you may need to repeat the crankover several times before it may show up.
Note# do not crank for more than 30 sec. at a time.

Second test is remove the fuel feed lines to the heads at the filter houseing. Attach small ballons to each line repeat the crank procedure. If it is blowing gas it will inflate the ballon on the bad bank.

Something to think about.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 AM

putting a new hfcm on today,actually got the old one disconnected,and laying on the framerail,looks like I need to drop one end of the frt. driveshaft to get it out,,geeeeeeez !,nuthin' is simple on these trux !!......lol
Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 AM

Nope it's designed that way LOL it increases mman hours for the shops.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Run in to my fist!

Any Idea what killed the injector that was replaced? If the fuel o-rings looked like they were sucked outta place then fuel starvation is definately an issue. A fuel pump may perform under no load but under full load or WOT condition may not. Dynamic fuel pressure test is how you spot this. i.e. monitor your pressure goin down the road under load and WOT conditions. Hope the new HFCM worked out for you, thats an expensove guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.