6.0 starts but dies; need sanity check - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 starts but dies; need sanity check

I was able to get a ton of great info from other posts / answers, so first off, big thanks to everyone who spends time on here, helping others.

My situation: 2004 F350, dually, 6.0. Ford installed a new long block at 99k miles (warranty), I installed a new FICM at 119k miles. The crank shaft speed sensor, and the ICP sensor, were replaced at 121k miles. The PCM and the FICM have whatever Ford considers the latest programs. I am told this is the "late-2004" block style, e.g., the ICP is not buried by the exhaust headers.

The truck was running quite well; just drove it from Colorado to Texas, no problems. Went out a recent morning, started the truck, and literally could not get out of the driveway. No response at all when the accelerator was pressed. Managed to get the truck back into its parking spot.

Read through these forums, and did the following:
1) replaced both fuel filters
2) tested output voltage on the FICM - measured 48.5V.

In the end, had it towed to a local Ford dealer.

This is where I need a sanity check. Their analysis is that the fuel pump is going bad. Because of the lack of fuel, one of the injectors stayed open, and thus allowed exhaust gases to flow across the other 3 injectors on that bank. Their recommended solution: replace all 4 injectors, replace the fuel pump, flush the injectors, change the oil and filters. $2700.

Does this analysis make sense? One of the regular themes on these forums is that some shops have a tendency to just throw parts at the 6.0.

All comments welcome. I have most likely forgotten to include some important information, so my apologies in advance.

thanks
chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Are they talking about the HFCM that needs to be replaced, or the HPOP?

Page 28: Fuel Supply System

Don't hear of many of either of them needing replacement, but it happens. I wanna know how they confirmed that one injector was stuck open and trashed the other 3
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 AM

I didn't realize there were two fuel pumps. I assumed they were talking about the one next to the fuel filter on the frame.

I wondered about the injector question as well, but figured there was a code they pulled.

Thx
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM

Technically there is only one fuel pump (HFCM), but the HPOP operates the HPO system and injectors
Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Which bank of injectors are they wanting to replace? You could do the HFCM yourself to save some $$$, and maybe even the injectors, depending on your mechanical ability

Maybe ask them how they determined that the other 3 injectors are toast too
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hate to see it but we see multiple HFCM issues and have since day one and the lack of fuel pressure is usually what scores the inj intrenally. Hard to say if they tested for a stuck open injector, your supposed to run the truck and see if there is bubbles in the fuel system showing the said injector is stuck open. If so it is Fords reccomendation under warranty that all injs on that bank get replaced. Our shop charges 4 hours for either just 1 inj or all 4 on the bank, labor rate is the same either way. Book time shows like 3.3 for one side and 4.7 for the other or something so we just say 4 hours per bank. Either way I usually recommend do all 4 on the bank due to the face if you come back a week later with another one down on the same bank your paying the same labor all over again. Make sure they are installing the updated fuel pressure regulator spring.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

FYI on my own truck since I bought it salvaged as a stolen veh and super lack of maint I have been replacing injs one at a time since labor isnt costing me anything. But I did have a guy last week that had an inj down on each bank with fresh fuel filters and fuel pressure was ok at the time. I recommened he do all 8 injs but only did 2, came back 4 days later with another inj down, checked fuel pressure again and was at 47 psi, installed new HFCM and now seen 65 psi and put the 6 remaining injs and cost him another $1k in labor.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM

Closure this time around... (though of course the hope is there won't be another...)

Took the truck to another shop - a Ford dealer with whom my family has had some good luck. Spent time discussing the truck and its symptoms with an experienced diesel service manager. One symptom he brought out that I had previously excluded was that the engine had a fairly loud "clacking" until it warmed up. I thought that was due to low overnight temps, so I had been running the block heater, which seemed to solve the problem.

Diagnosis after opening things up: injector 6 was bad. The other injectors on that bank tested fine. The glow plug wire harness had gotten fairly brittle with age, etc. Fuel pump was just fine; fuel pressure was fine. HPOP was strong.

So, running again.

Appreciate the comments from folks, thank you.

-chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.