DTC code P0281?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DTC code P0281??

Code - P0281
Circuit index - INJ
Description - Cylinder Number 7 Contribution/Balance
Probable causes - Power cylinder, valve train or injector

So allow me to back up a bit.....
All last summer blowing coolant from the degas bottle while I was towing or under hard acceleration.
In January I began blowing the big white cloud due to EGR cooler failure. Parked it and the engine hydrolocked. Pulled the right bank glow plugs #1,3,5,7, and rolled the engine to clear the lock. I continued to tear into it and did the EGR delete, new oil cooler, cooling system flush, thermostat, degas cap, right hand glow plug harness, filters, oil, and coolant replaced.

Now that I'm back together I still have the white smoke and I'm throwing the above code (in addition to the EGR code after the delete).
Did the #7 injector get screwed up from the hydrolock?

Sidenote..... I ran the "hero kit" to check for cooling system pressure. Under normal city driving I reached 16 PSI with no problem. Took her on the freeway and put my foot in it only to pass 16 PSI without looking back!! Pegged the gauge. Needless to say, the head gaskets are shot

But what's up with the #7 code? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Forgot to mention... went about 250 miles thinking I was just burning the residule. No luck, started dripping oil from the exhaust in addition to the smoke! This problem was not there prior to the delete and other repairs/mods.

Did the CCV mod last week.

No more dripping oil, but still smoking. At every stop light I put out a good cloud of white smoke that goes away at crusing speeds.

I'm stumped again with this ol six leaker!!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Bump to the top...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are you consuming oil or coolant? Obviously your headgaskets are out. If there is enough coolant going into the cylinders you could just be burning coolant. Check your tubro and make sure the seal isnt out and your not burning oil. If so quit driving it so it doesnt run away on you, seen it before and it isnt very cool. Check your fuel pressue and make sure your within spec and it is very likely you just have an inj down and possibly over fueling causing the smoke but it should be more grey/black then white.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the help.

Not consuming oil or coolant.
How would I check the seal on the turbo? Very possible it could be bad, can't think of anything else that would cause the oil drip from the exhaust. Can you?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

sorry to keep bumping, just looking for some help.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 AM

The only way to really get oil in the exhuast would have to be through consumption. Remove intake tubing and check the play in the turbo shaft. Basically the compressor wheel shouldnt touch the housing and there should be no in and out play. If the seal is bad usually you'll see oil all over the place. A little bit of oil is normal through the CCV. You sure it isnt coolant? It could be coolant through the bad headgaskets possibly. As I said before you could have a cyl 7 inj that is down causing it to overfuel/smoke/fluid in the exhaust. Pretty much all liquids your going to get of the exhaust are going to be black from all the soot buildup.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for your help, I truly appriciate your time.

When I had the turbo out I did notice some end play on the exhaust side impeller. For some unknown reason I failed to check the intake side, I will do that next.

I'm 99.9% sure it's not coolant in the exhaust.

I'm just so confused here, this has taken me in so many different directions. Started out with a simple EGR delete project over the weekend, and now it has snowballed into so much more. The #7 inbalance code wasn't there prior to the #7 cyl hydrolock and EGR delete. The oil in the exhaust wasn't present prior to the EGR delete and turbo recondition. Could it be that the EGR problem was masking the head gasket issue, the #7 injector has gone down due to the hydrolock, and the oil in the exhaust is the result of a bad turbo (seal)????? Or is there anyway this is all related to one specific problem?

After the EGR project I've also noticed oil dripping down the rear of my block, onto the starter, trans lines, and driveway. This is in addition to the infamous rear main seal leak, and much more prevelant.

Other than the big clouds of white smoke, and coolant consumption, the truck ran great prior to these repairs. Now I remove the EGR cooler, replace the oil cooler, recondition the turbo, and waaalaaa!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM

If you had play on the exhaust side you more the likely will have play on the intake side. Its all one common shaft. If your leaking oil that much check to make sure your turbo drain line is in all the and one of the seals arent cut, also check the turbo supply. Depending on how much of a mess it made when pulling the oil cooler that also could be residule but most of that should be gone by now. Also check your oil filter housing to make sure that isnt leaking around the seal. If it was me I would put #7 inj in and see what happens. Ive always been a fan of you gotta fix what you know is wrong first as this may be causing other issues. Oil leaks are fairly easy to trace down. Clean it all up and make sure its not coming fromt he topside of the engine, could be a rear main hard to say. Mistakes happens and seals get cut or something didnt get torqued down properly dont beat yourself up about it and just take a breath and get back to basics my friend. Its only a truck so dont let it be smarter then ya, lol j/k I know how it is.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:09 AM

One other thing make sure you pull your oil fill cap with it running and make sure you dont have a bunch of blow by. Just to make sure you didnt bend anything with it hydrolocked. Also does it pop back through the air filter at all when its running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.