Head Gaskets? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gaskets?

Truck has had a vibration at high rpm for a couple of days (2500 to 3000 rpm at about 65-70 mph). Today while on the highway at about 70 mph all was "fine"-slight vibration-then loss of power, only able to pull 45 mph. Finally got it off the highway. Sat at the light at the end of the off ramp it idled a little rough.drove to my mechanic and the truck was able to pull 65-70 mph with slight strain. Mechanic says #5 cylinder has compression drop. he say motor is junk-lets replace it. I think it might be time for new head gaskets and studs. Truck has 125K and has been well maintained. I am second owner but am reasonably sure the previous owner maintained it pretty well. No modifications. If i decide to get gaskets and studs done what seems to be average cost and what studs are recommended. I was thinking ARP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

How did He test compression? Any smoke, puking?
Old 02-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Any white stuff caked on around the degass bottle? Any drop in coolant? White smoke? What caused the cylinder to go? When was the oil cooler changed out? Do you have a monitoring system? Do you know what the delta is between the EOT and ECT?

Just a few things to dig into man. I would be as equally concerned with the reason why the cylinder went bad as I would be about the way ahead. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't know how he did comp. test. Nothing on or around degas bottle. I flushed coolant about a month ago and i have noticed very slight coolant loss. Don't think the oil cooler was ever changed. no smoking. no monitoring system. Please excuse my ignorance this is my first diesel but...i don't even know what an eot or eoc are. I would like to know what caused the cyclinder to drop as well!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Sorry man. Let me explain. The oil cooler does just as the name implies and coolant runs through it to reduce the oil temps. This gets blocked up with silicates from the Ford Gold coolant that is used from the manufacturer. This restricts the coolant that would then flow into the EGR cooler which then has a tendency to burn out. You then have exhaust given direct access to your coolant system which then increases coolant pressure. A secondary effect of all this is that the exhaust that is normally consumed back through your intake manifold (via the EGR) now has trace amounts of coolant due to the EGR pipe failing and this coolant then gets consumed within the cylinder head during the normal combustion cycle. This then increases cylinder head pressure thus causing the head gaskets to fail in addition to other issues such as warped heads. I'm guessing you need to replace your head gaskets and resurface your heads but I'm not a mechanic. One way to monitor all of this and detect issues before they become problems is via a cheap monitoring system like a Scanguage ($160). This can monitor your Engine Oil (EOT) and Engine Coolant Temps (ECT). If there's a 15 degree difference at normal operating temps between the two, your oil cooler is most likely blocked which leads to the cascading effects described above. Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

If I had to take a stab in the dark, my first guess would be injector(s) I seriously doubt your engine is junk. Not to bash your mechanic, but how familiar is he with the 6.0? I would get a second opinion.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
mine did the same thing, got it tested and found #4 injector is bad. contribution and balance test. BTW rev-x has not fixed it. Saving up now, its been down for three months. it cranks fine.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

x2 what Calvin said. These multi layer stainless head gaskets don't blow out like single layer felcos. Usually you'll just experience coolant loss and/or
Pressurized cooling system. Do some research so that you know what The mechanic is doing before he hits you up with a huge bill and no fix. No need to just throw parts at this engine, or an engine at the truck for that matter.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Glow Plugs Only

Just from a simple compression test,, to junk it,, let's replace it????? I'd be replacing him Get yourself a reputable 6.0 mechanic. You'll get better advice on here from some of these tech's who haven't even seen your truck but have all the experience with these motors!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WOW...first off, a big thank you to everyone on here you guys are great. OK- I spoke to the tech that actually worked on the vehicle. Here's what he said: computer shows #5 cylinder contribution code. The vibration comes and goes (as I mentioned earlier), degass bottle is not pressurized (I don't think he put any guage on it), when the problem is present he noticed the motor "Breathing" through the oil fill tube. he thinks cracked piston or bad rings in #5 cylinder. I don't think a cracked piston or bad rings would ever run "better". I am going to talk to a mechanic that I hope is more familiar with 6.0's. The present guy is a wrench that works at a friend's garage and claims to be a 6.0 expert. I am coming to believe he is a bs expert. Once again thank you and I will be sure to post the out come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.