Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Head gaskets or HPOP

5K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  a2elvis 
#1 ·
I have another thread going right now with the inspection of my HPOP system. The background of the story is I have a no start issue. Truck was running fine then all of the sudden wont start. I have already tore into the HPOP system and kind of suspect a HPOP failure as I am seeing gold flakes in the oil. However, I know for a fact the head gaskets are not great as it pukes coolant out the degas bottle. Before I tore everything apart I tried spraying starting fluid into the intake and it wouldnt even fire off that. I am starting to think my head gaskets could be completely done now. If the HPOP was dead shouldn't the truck still fire off starting fluid?

#2 ·
Starting fluid is a big nono in the 6.0, but I would say you are correct in your thinking about it not starting witht eh starting fluid. If you do want to use that stuff, make sure you let it sit in the intake for a few seconds before cranking it over, so's not to get a huge explosion in the cylinders

Have you checked the FICM? Those flakes could be many things, but definitely NOT good in any case :eek:hnoes:

#5 ·
You could have a HPO leak too. What year is the truck? The 03' and early 04's had a bad run with HPOP's

#7 ·
Do you know the build date? Does the HPOP look like an aluminum housing, or cast iron?

#9 ·
If it's aluminum, it's the newer style HPOP. Not many failures from them, but it does happen

Lots of info here 6.0L Bible Table of Contents

You def have something failing, or failed though, with the glitter in the oil. I would change the oil every 2k for a couple oil changes so that stuff can get cleaned out quickly, before taking out injectors

#13 ·
The aluminum pumps are the only one's i have seen fail... The cast pumps are the 05-newer pumps and those are the "new" ones that really dont fail. We have actaully tried to see if we could get a 05-newer style pump to hook to the branch tube of an 04 and no dice, its close but wont work.

I have had 2 of the ball bearings pop out the side of the 04 pumps in the last week. The real question is "where does the ball go"...:dunno:

#10 ·
Maybe send a sampe of the oil to Blackstone for a report on the metals that in there. It could be other bearings, but I'm not sure it can point you directly at a certain bearing. The only time I saw that stuff in the oil, the main bearings were toast

#15 ·
Unknown if IPR valve is good. I wanted to bench test that as well but I was reading you wont be able to tell much from applying 12v to it on the bench. Is there another way to see if that is working? I know the screen on it fell off when I removed it from the HPOP and is dented inwards in the middle.

a2elvis do you know how the HPOP comes apart as well?

#16 ·
k if the screen was damaged or not on the valve, that is gonna be your problem most likely! replace the valve with know good and go from there. The IPR valve is not allowing the HPOP to build high pressure oil.

#18 ·
Ok, I will grab an IPR valve and give that a shot. I planned on replacing that even if the pump was shot anyway. Is there a way to test the pressure in the system prior to bolting the turbo back on? I was thinking maybe set the turbo in place w/out clamps connected but oil lines and such hooked up then check the voltage at the ICP while cranking? Thanks a lot for all of the advice, if it is just an IPR valve I will be a lucky/wealthier man.

#20 ·
Well, I ordered a new IPR valve and put the HPOP back in for some more air testing and learning. I decided it is probably best to just replace the HPOP while I am in there anyway. They have a history of going bad, the truck has 150k on it now as well as I am seeing gold glitter in the oil that spits back out the top of the HP oil rails when I push air into them. I think the gold glitter is an indication that my HPOP went south. I still think I needed an IPR valve but I think that was taken out by my HPOP possibly. I did do some more air testing with the IPR valve back in the truck and the HPOP back in the truck. When I pressurize the system w/ air with the key off and everything you can hear air escaping under the HPOP cover. When I turn the KOEO the air stops bleeding into that area. I used a stethoscope on the valve covers as well and could not hear air escaping. My hope is all of my o-rings are good on everything and my HPOP is simply bad and wont build the proper pressure. This is all my theory and I will post back the results when I get everything back together.

#22 ·
brad if you are not manually closing the IPR valve with a 12v source you will get air heard under the pump cover. The IPR dump is on the back of the pump above the gear, air will come out of there if the IPR is not closed

glitter in the oil is not good and could very well be an indication of hpop failure, lets just hope the metal doesn't take out some injectors too.

#24 ·
Faulty HPOP

Had a no start on my VT365 2006 International a week ago. Replaced the HPOP and back to running. Screen under the oil cooler had two sections of screen gone....thinking either the screens caused problems going into the HPOP or the fact that parts of the screen was gone let something into the HPOP....

#25 ·
Ah, the VT365. As an ex International tech I think they almost have more issues then a 6.0.

I always wonder where the pieces of the screen goes. You know it had to get sucked thru the HPOP. Probably wound up in your IPR. You might have gotten away with just replacing the IPR. I've only had to replace a few of the later year cast iron style pumps.

#29 ·
I was thinking some more and wondering, do you guys think I should tear the intake and oil cooler out to have a look at the HPOP screen? About 2 years ago I put in a brand new oil cooler, screen and did an egr delete. I was hoping to not have to tear that far into the truck b/c the gasket kit to do so is another $90 or so. Just looking for opinions I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.