are they just junk? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
are they just junk?

im just wondering,, are the 6.0 just junk or not.... a diesel engine is supposed to run forever,, well not the case it seems for 6.0s. also, if this engine has so many problems, why did ford stick with this engine for what 5yrs..?? i am new to diesels, i got a great deal on a 04 f350 duelly with only 36k on it... it is a beautiful truck, i race jetskis and do a lot of travelig.. so i purchased this truck... now i got all these people saying, "you shouldnt have baught a 6.0, they are junk".. these trucks arnt cheap, do you really need to do all this crap to make them last... i guess what i need to know is, what do you think the percentage is of 6.0 on the road have high milage and have had nothing done to them at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have 100k on mine and ive only put some minor mods on it. I love mine, it just comes down to maintenance.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 PM

i love mine too, but should i trust it on long road trips.. my maintenance is very anal, i race motorcycles and jetskis, and like my truck, im on top of my machines... i just hear so much horror stories...($5000+) to replace head gaskets would be a horror story... is it just a matter of time till it happens to mine, and yours for that matter....??
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM
BANNED

Some people never have problems, some people can't get away from problems. If you got a good one, keep the maintenance up as it should be, and fix the problems you have as they arise. Keep an eye on your deltas!! If you let things stack up they will cost you alot of money. I just had studs, firerings, egr delete, and gaskets done on mine do to a clogged oil cooler. I wouldn't hesitate driving mine across the country if I needed to (and could afford the fuel lol). I love my truck and while it has cost me some money in repairs I don't really regret buying it.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM

There are a LOT of 6.Ohs that have over 200k on them. No you can’t take one in factory form and drive it forever. There are a few factory engineering issues you must address. Flush the cooling system out and get rid of that Ford Gold Antifreeze. Then get a ScanGauge2 to watch the deltas. Keep up with filter and fluid changes and you will have 90% of the problems licked. No it’s not a matter of time that your head gaskets will blow.
Watch for signs that the EGR cooler is shot and replace or delete it as son as it fails or before and your chances of blowing a HG go way down. It goes like this Ford Gold in combination with the EGR cooler kills the oil cooler, clogged oil cooler blows out the EGR cooler, Blown EGR cooler makes engine burn lots of coolant, that blows head gaskets. The other popular way to blow your HG is to run a hot tune with lots of injection timing.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hollowpoint,

I couldn't agree more. I have only replaced the oil cooler, egr delete, ficm and icp. My truck has over 130,000 on it. I just drove several thousand miles towing my RV without a problem. I fully trust my truck to do anything I need it to, but I am very anal about taking care of the maintenance. It is a labor of love. That is the best way to explain it.

Do your research on the potential problems with these motors and take care of them, primarily the egr cooler, plugged oil cooler, eot/ect deltas, get some gages to monitor things and you should be ok.

The first thing is to get gages and see what you have, recommend the edge CTS insight. Once you can see what your reading are, this will dictate if you have to do any other maintenance before moving forward.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

When they run they run very well. There should never be a need for a (stock right of the show room floor) truck that needs design changes to make to 100k, be that as it may you have to BUY some other type of gauges (that it didnt come with) to keep a eye on coolant and oil temp. Other than the over priced fuel and the extra cost of maintaining a 6.0 and Fords blindfold thet are awsome trucks. The crew cabs rear seat have more room than chevy and dodge (minus the mega cab) for you to sleep in while waiting for a tow truck to take you to a dealer for the long line of attempts to fix it the first time kinda repairs. Best of luck to you and your new 6.0
Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have an 06 f250 with 105k miles and have been meticulous with maintenance... Been an amazing truck and deltas are now at 8 degrees. Will have to upgrade FCIM soon but that's it. Do your maintenance, watch your deltas, fix problems as they arise and you'll love your truck... Oh and remove your EGR valve and look for wetness every once in awhile.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM

this is all great advice... i did instal gages, and everything is on point... i got the truck about five months ago.. i love it, and i hope it gives me great service...
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 PM

flush the casting sand out of the block and install a coolant filter and then replace the oil cooler and that's about as important as studs. imo. Then replace the ford gold with something ELC. Here is a how to flush: http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf

A 6.0 and a 6.4 dont come from the factory built to last. Modifications are usually needed by the truck owner to ensure their own type of "warranty". Studs, flush block/replace coolant, delete egr emissions is a good start for a 6.0L. All jmo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.