degas bubbles (video) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
degas bubbles (video)

05, 6.0, 168K, studded, HG, oil cooler, River City EGR delete, Coolant filter (currently have valves turned off), 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, no cat. modifications done less than a year ago to solve my excessive coolant puking. (EGR delete was done first.... still puking so I had a diesel shop do studs and HG.)

Started puking again about 4 months after studs and HG so I took it back to the shop. They tested the coolant system pressure and he said everything checked out ok (< 16psi). He replaced the cap and everything seemed ok for about a month.

Today I checked and again I have the white residue from dried puke and I notice (while it's running) bubbles percolating up from the bottom of the degas. I'm getting my parts together to do my own pressure test but was curious on what others opinions are on the bubbling. normal? I searched the forum but didn't find anyone else with bubbles. If it's been discussed please point the way.

Data from AE
EOT 192
ECT 193

link to bubble video on youtube IMG_0049.MOV - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

What kind of HG's did they use? Ford or Black Onyx? The BO are have been known to blow even with studs. Did they machine the heads absolutely flat? If they didn't machine the heads or/and they used BO HG's then I would surely bet on blown HG's. You need to do your own PSI test like you are planning and post results here. Hope this is not the case but it very well could be blown HG's.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the quick reply.

Yes they are BO HG's. I was going to go with ford HG but was talked out of it. This shop "has never had one come back with a blown set of BO."

The shop stated that they checked the heads but I did not get any specifics on their test. All I got from them was 'heads checked out ok'

Should have psi test finished tonight.

thanks again.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM

You may want to do the test to check for compression gasses in the exhaust. Its the chemical test that senses the fumes over the coolant bottle and changes color if present.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

psi test

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I'm laughing my butt off. I was one of those kids with the sick sense of humor who laughed when someone got hurt. Maybe this is Karma.

Truck was still warm when I started it... about 140 ECT.

Test ended abruptly with a "POP" at about 8 minutes and 24psi. The "pop' was only the expansion plug shooting out of the degas; dragging my pressure gauge with it.

I didn't follow anyones diy. Maybe I didn't do the test correctly? I used a #8 expansion plug with a few addapters and an old fuel pressure rig.

I had the High Idle switch on.

p.s I've never posted pictures or videos before. I'm assuming they're coming through.
Attached Thumbnails
degas bubbles (video)-0.jpg   degas bubbles (video)-8.jpg   degas bubbles (video)-17.jpg   degas bubbles (video)-22.jpg   degas bubbles (video)-pop.jpg  

Last edited by kt6.0; 01-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

but in all seriousness.... how much more ammunition do I need before going back to this shop?

would you give him another shot?

If not, ask for a partial refund on labor and go to another shop? I can reuse the studs right?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:35 PM

Your HG's are certainly blown.

No I would not give them another shot, they obviously don't know what they are doing when it comes to the 6.0L.

I would try to get some money back.

Yes you can reuse the studs. Just make sure that they mill the heads absolutely flat and PSI test them. Do not use a Ford dealership to do the work.

I have heard that, if you drive these engines for extended periods of time with blown HG's, it will erode the block. In that case they will have to pull the motor and have the block milled.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help and the advice Lord.

Anyone out there know of a good shop in the Delaware, Maryland, Virginia area? ... I should probably do another search.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Also you need to flush that Ford gold coolant out BEFORE you replace your oil cooler. Get you some CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant. This is a good one ---> NAPA AUTO PARTS
Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Where are you? There is a great shop in Elkton MD. I had mine done there, not a single problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
degas bubbles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.