antifreeze leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
antifreeze leak

Yesterday, I drove 22 miles into town. Parked for car pool. Arrived back about 7hrs later, we spotted the truck dripping. This was coming from back of block passenger side. Some place up high, looked like it was around head to block joint. Truck was on level ground (asphalt). Drip rate 1 every 20 seconds. The puddle was only about 1 foot in diameter, that puzzled us due to the time we were gone. Today I went out to put coolant filter on, and pulled block plug drivers side. Crawling under from front the truck was not dripping. As big as I am I could not get to plug, so I came from side. Using the running board to help lift myself under, caused the truck to start dripping. This was coming from drivers side around head to block joint, as far up as I could see. I looked on top but did not see anything. Also the truck had sat for 24 + hrs, and had a little pressure in degas bottle. Could just here slight hiss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like the beginnings of a head gasket leak.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

If there is a coolant leak from the top of the engine(center) then its most likely the hose that connects the oil cooler to the egr cooler... It will run down the seam line of the cylinder head. Most likely its dripping on the trans cooler lines??
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

What he said! Mine was leaking in the same place, it wasn't until it got really bad that I could see it leaking from that little red hose. EGR cooler delete fixed that little leak.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

delete is where its going, I'm hoping to get 500 miles on coolant filter before delete and oil cooler. Hoping to get studs and gaskets at same time, if it holds out.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

A leak is just that, a leak. Keep up on it, ie check/top off your fluid. Mine leaked from the day I bought it used in July 06 till I ripped it out in Nov 11. It didn't leak enough to puddle unless it was really cold out side. My truck never ran hot, smoked or anything else unusual during this time. I'd be willing to bet yours has been slowly leaking for a while like mine was.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

hope this is the case. I was hoping to have the truck ready for traveling work, but will leave behind til I have all issues resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.