04 F350 clueless - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 F350 clueless

Hi guys I have an 04 F350 with the 6.0 and last night driving to work it lost power for a few seconds then it picked back up and ran great. This morning i went to start it and it starts fine but it cuts back off after 2 or 3 seconds. It will idle fine then black smoke starts coming from the exhaust and it chugs a few times then dies. I would really like to figure this out cause its stuck at my job and I hate having my truck sittin where anything can happen to it.

Thanks,
A.J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also have this posted in the 911 section in case any of you guys run across it there.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the post in the 911 section has been kindly deleted so if anyone can answer please post here or im me. thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the egr valve by pulling it and cleaning it. There are articles on google that show everything or vids on the tube. That's an easy place to start and u will need a gasket kit.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check out this video and take a look at your EGR valve. It may need to be cleaned or replaced. Do some searches on this site to find some EGR delete kits and get rid of it. Also I am right over the Harry Nice Bridge in Maryland if you need a hand. Not sure what part of Va you are in...
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live in Shenandoah only bout 45 min from West VA. Believe it or not I kinda fixed it already. I tried starting it today and it fired right up. It idled rough for about 5 seconds then cleared up. After about 2 min of idling the light came on that says I have water in my fuel. I only had 1/8 tank so I figured about a half a tank of fuel should help out til I have time to drain the seperator under the truck. I guess it was cold enough yesterday and I had enough water in the fuel to freeze something up. Being about 20 degrees warmer today it wasn't froze.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well guys my problem came back today. Drivin down the road after it warms up it will run fine then if I slow down like to coast down a hill then accelerate it chugs and sputters and black smoke rolls out the exhaust. I can shove it in neutral and floor it to clean it out and it does fine for a few miles then repeats when I let off the throttle then speed up again. If it did it every time it would be easier to diagnose but it might do it again right away or maybe 5 miles later. I didn't have this problem til I added Rev-X to my oil. Could that be the culprit?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertlmt94 View Post
I didn't have this problem til I added Rev-X to my oil. Could that be the culprit?
doubtful. try pulling the egr valve. its easy and takes barely any time. also a good way to check if the egr cooler has ruptured.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Did you check for any codes? Is the check engine light on? Do you have an edge insight? We need more info.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All I have is an Actron code scanner for obd2 and it shows no codes, no cel, and sorry no insight. If I get a chance I will pull the egr today but it will prob happen tomorros since its gonna be so cold today. The truck ran great before Christmas but was overdue for an oil change. Changed the oil with the same oil I have ran since I got the truck...Rotella. Truck still ran good but was hard to start after the oil change. I added Rev-X and within 100 miles the surging and smoking began.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.