Will a bad injector cause cylinder wear? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Will a bad injector cause cylinder wear?

My truck recently started to hesitate and shudder under interstate speeds, and now rough idle. 04 6.0 with 168K does not have an egr delete. I've had it for about two months and the previous owner told me the ficm was replaced a little over a year ago. I took it to a 6.0 mechanic who put it on the machine and told me that the #4 injector was bad. He only charged me $40. It does not smoke, which leads me to believe it is not putting out enough fuel, my question is, will a bad injector cause a cylinder wall to score from lack of fuel? I plan to order some rev-x, and a edge insight cts and start all the necessary checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injectors go out in lotsa ways, but it is always either mechanical or electrical. there are several mechanical ways. few electrical ways but they are the most common. there are two test to run, a contribution test which is mainly if an obd code hasn't set, check each cylinder's out put, low out put either means a leak, or mechanical failure of the injector. a buzz test checks each injector at a time for electrical response. which test did you have? as for scouring the piston wall, i don't THINK so. i've had injectors going out for a long time and when it was changed all problems went away. 6 mos down the road hg time, and cylinders look fine to me. I have 7 6.0's in my fleet, hate that i love each one so much
Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
not directly but #5(the cylinder that fires after number #4) is going to have to inject more fuel and work harder to keep the engine up to speed.

It's true most injectors fail in a way that doesn't harm the engine but I'd never be the one to take that chance. Get it replaced ASAP
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I have never seen one do it from not enough fuel, but one that is putting too much fuel can wash out the oil in the rings and cause scoreing of the cylinder walls.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i know this is a tad old but yes, just did a comp test on a 6.0 that came in with a bad injector and its hardly moving the needle on the compression gauge.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:36 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I appreciate the responses, I know mine is underfeuling. That is mostly what I was concerned about. I know about the damage caused with overfueling. I still have not changed the injector yet. I quit driving it. I plan to change it soon. I ohm checked the injector last week and the open coil is bad.

Sent from my SCH-I500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.