Exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust

I have a 05 f350 with 6.0 diesel. May sound stupid but new to diesel. I have recently noticed that the exhaust coming out of tail pipe is very weak. and I have a very loud shrill whistle coming from ( I think) the rear part of the engine. Does a diesel have a catalytic converter and if so could this be the problem? If the converter is stopped up can I replace it with a straight pipe without any problems other than being illegal. Little over 94k miles. Thanks for your time and help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Carbon huffing animal

a 6.0 exhaust does not sound "diesel like" at idle due to the VGT turbo. It will right at start up, and turn into a "jet type" sound as the vanes adjust based on programming. I really like the sound of a 6.0 exhaust, but to really hear it while driving, you generally have to be next to something solid like a concrete barrier or building, and heavy throttle.

the '03's have a very loud turbo because they have less vanes that the newer (louder, higher pitch jet sound - YouTube it), so if yours is loud like that, someone may have done an '03 turbo swap, which is not unheard of.

Ultimately to answer your question, it would be easier if we understood what you meant by your ".......exhaust coming out of the tail pipe is weak"

Are you talking sound wise, or do you think it has blockage of some sort maybe in the catalytic converter and causing power loss.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What I mean is the pressure of the exhaust seems to be very weak and I am also getting exhaust fumes when idling in the cab. I checked the heat on the converter and then back on the tail pipe and it feels the same so I really think it may not be the converter now. I have visually checked for leaks but have not found any. could it be the turbo? the engine also sounds louder to me
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip64 View Post
What I mean is the pressure of the exhaust seems to be very weak and I am also getting exhaust fumes when idling in the cab. I checked the heat on the converter and then back on the tail pipe and it feels the same so I really think it may not be the converter now. I have visually checked for leaks but have not found any. could it be the turbo? the engine also sounds louder to me
i doubt turbo. sounds like a cracked y pipe. if u dont have emissions testing in ur area, do an egr delete and put on a 4in turbo back exhaust. also, get some gauges to monitor ect and eot.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 AM
Carbon huffing animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip64 View Post
Its a Ford TSB that the 6.0 engine develops exhaust leaks at the headers. They make a gasket for this. You may want to look into this...
Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

part of problem

I have found part of my problem, The pipe that comes out of the driverside exhaust manifold up to the ,( I think the turbo ) has a leak in what I would call a metal expansion joint. What is this pipe called? This is probably where I am getting the loud shrill whistle and also where I am losing exhaust pressure and why the exhaust is coming up into cab. Looks to be very hard to get to
Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 PM

That is the left side turbo inlet pipe or y-pipe. Once the turbo is out its not that bad to do
Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks

Thanks for the help. So the Y pipe comes in 2 pieces, left and right, also what is an EGR delete and how do you do that? Remember I am a DumbA__ on diesels
Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM

Only the left side is a y-pipe. The turbo inlet pipes are 2 pieces, The right side is shorter and straight. An Egr delete removes the Egr cooler so you no longer have exhaust flow to the valve. You don't have to worry about the cooler leaking or the valve sticking. Get the delete kit that comes with the r/s inlet pipe and install it when you do the left side. It's a good idea to clean the turbo whle you have it off.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

picture

can we post pictures on here? if so I will take 2 pics and post to make sure old DumbA here has got correct parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.