No boost to little boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No boost to little boost

2005 6.0 48,000 miles. This truck sits alot in the garage. It does on occasion move in and out. A little history...always serviced at dealership..no problems until Aug 09...44,600 miles....low coolent and smell out the exhaust....replaced EGR cooler and complete service....no problems until Fri nite...pulled out of the garage, seems to run fine from stop light to stop light...went to merge on the highway, about got my a@@ ran over...no power and I thought I saw no boost on the gauge. Got off next exit...drove stop light to stop light and seems to run ok. Got back to the garage and check for the obvious and saw nothing wrong. Pulled the inlet hose off at turbo...spins smoothly by hand..no play in shaft...removed the EGR..a little sooty...not clogged...opens and closes smoothly by hand..put all back together...test drive....fine stop to stop...merge on highway, about got my a@@ ran over again....paid attention to gauge....maybe 5lbs of boost even at near WOT...no black smoke...back off of highway...seems fine from stop to stop....exhaust smeels a little "different"...maybe...ANY SUGGESTIONS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bet your VGT is coked up and not moving. Or the solenoid is out. My bet is a dirty turbo, especially if it rarely gets driven.
and
Do some searching and reading, and you'll find lots on it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blpcjpblp View Post
Got back to the garage and check for the obvious and saw nothing wrong. Pulled the inlet hose off at turbo...spins smoothly by hand..no play in shaft...removed the EGR..a little sooty...not clogged...opens and closes smoothly by hand..put all back together...test drive....fine stop to stop...merge on highway, about got my a@@ ran over again....paid attention to gauge....maybe 5lbs of boost even at near WOT...no black smoke...back off of highway...seems fine from stop to stop....exhaust smeels a little "different"...maybe...ANY SUGGESTIONS
A few other things that can contribute to low/no boost that you could check:
The ebp sensor and tube.
On your 05, the sensor is located on the drivers side, attached to the FICM bracket. Use two wrenches (one on the sensor, one on the tube) and remove the sensor. Take a long piece of tiewire or something similar and poke all the way down the tube to the exhaust manifold. There is nothing in there that you could possibly hurt, you want to make sure that the tube is not clogged with soot. Wipe the soot off the sensor and reinstall.

The MAP sensor hose and nipple.
The MAP sensor is located on the passenger side of the engine bay, on top of the heater box, attached to a triangular shaped bracket. Check the black rubber hose that goes from the sensor down to the intake manifold for any cracking, pinholes or chafing. Using an allen wrench close to the same diameter of the hole in the brass nipple the hose connects to on the intake manifold, poke the nipple to ensure that it is not clogged with soot.

If these do not help the situation, the fact that the truck sits long periods of time without being used points to the turbo sticking due to rust build up. The rust formation on the surface that the unison ring slides on prevents the VGT solenoid from opening/closing the vanes fully. You will have to remove the turbo and clean it.
To do so, I have included a link to a turbo removal/install pdf file. You will also need to purchase a turbo hardware kit, and a turbo cleaning kit.
Turbo removal/install CLICK HERE
Turbo cleaning directions CLICK HERE
Turbo cleaning kit, $57.20 CLICK HERE
Turbo mounting hardware kit, $7.70 CLICK HERE

Suggested upgraded parts to consider changing to ensure better oil delivery and draining for the turbo:
Updated turbo oil supply line, $77.00 CLICK HERE
Updated turbo oil drain tube, $21.45 CLICK HERE
Old 01-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll get started this week and let you know what I find. Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its bad for these trucks to sit because of the VGT. long story short moisture in the exhaust causes the VGT to rust ans seize
Old 01-10-2012, 08:37 AM

I'm haven the same problem no boost replace map and cleaned hose and nipple replaced bp and cleaned tube took turbo off it was stuck cleaned it up and replaced unison ring the rod wore a groove on it took vgt off it was stuck could not push on it with my thumb so soaked it in some cleaner good as new put it back still nothing trying to figure out what it is any suggestion
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If the vanes were stuck on the unision ring...would the boost gauge move at all?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM

No cause unison ring can't move
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Boost might move if some vaines are stuck but other ones r not
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was a bad turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.