Hesitation, bucking, hard starting, lack of power and top-end miss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hesitation, bucking, hard starting, lack of power and top-end miss

Troops;

My problem child is a 2004 6.0L with 210K miles. I replaced the turbo several months ago, and just this past week was forced to replace the HPOP. And with that last item I think the current story begins.

My problem seems to have started during a fuel starvation event. Per the dealer, this oversight killed the HPOP which they kindly replaced ($2400, as I was 300 miles from home). When I got the truck back, I drove home from the dealer and the truck was absolutely flawless for 300 miles. Honestly, it felt the best it has ever felt since I bought it at 150K miles. Smooth, responsive, and just a joy to drive.

This AM (in 60F weather) it starts-up on the second or third turn but is VERY upset. It has a rough idle with a heavy miss for several minutes. Driving it when the gauge is cold reveals it has no power whatsoever and it develops a really pronounced miss at 1500 rpm and above. This miss gets progressively better (smoother) as it warms-up. With the engine at normal operating temp after 20 minutes of gentle driving, the symptoms are largely gone. It idles fine, drives OK, but if you put your foot into it, it feels like its starving for fuel or being strangled. The engine just won't wind-up above 2700-ish RPM, and when it does suddenly "snap" into making some power, it surges... and then goes back to the missing/starvation act. (Feels exactly like hitting a soft-touch rev-limiter on a gas engine). Also, I notice the 2-3 shift point is displaced upwards in the RPM band and most times the engine misses just before the shift. The funny thing is, if you keep your foot out of it, once it's warmed-up, it feels pretty normal and drives OK. Warm, it will start fine, idle fine, and mostly behave itself. Cold... it's just a miserable beast. There are no check engine lights or outward indications of a failure. I'm looking for a scan tool to borrow and will report what I see if I can get my hands on one.

Any idea what gives here? I was referred to this forum by a co-worker and would love to know your thoughts. I'm not exactly a noob when it comes to diesels, but most of my knowledge involves ag equipment with green paint, IDI, and production years beginning in "19", so you've been warned.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have!

Roark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like some injector stiction. switch to some 5w-40 synthetic oil and add some rev-x to it and see if that cures it. also will need to check ficm voltage.
also, pull the egr valve and clean it if necessary. make sure there isnt any coolant in the intake manifold.
DTS Articles - 6.0L EGR Valve Cleaning

also, look into the blue spring update from ford. also, only use OEM fuel and oil filters. aftermarkets can cause serious damage.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Joe;

I'm off to see the wizard in re the 5w40 synthetic oil ASAP. Dunno where to find RevX, but that's why Al Gore invented the internet, eh?

FWIW the EGR valve is clean (one of the things just done this week by the dealer) but I haven't checked the intake (yet). Will do that when I change the oil.

Thanks for your help! Looks like I owe ya a beer!

Roark
Old 01-09-2012, 03:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: The synthetic oil (Rotella T6) made a fairly substantial difference. It didn't cure the problem entirely, but definitely lessened the symptoms and postponed onset into a higher RPM. There also seems to be a progressive cure happening in that the longer I drive it (or idle it), the happier it gets.

I will start playing with the FICM diagnostics tonight and see what that yields.

On other fronts, there isn't any leakage in the manifold. And I put-in a phone call for some RevX.

Thanks for your help!

Roark
Old 01-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you add some Rev-X yet?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Changing the oil and adding rev-x is only going to delay the inevitable. trust me, im in that boat right now. I had a bad miss when cold and no power until warm. I knew I had some stiction and was trying to cure it, until we were headed up state for new years about 150 miles from home and lost an injector. Check this link out and make your own choice. Its got some good diagnosing tips. 6.0L Powerstroke Injectors
Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Carbon huffing animal

210k, I don't doubt you have injector troubles. I would urge you have a Ford dealer do a diagnostic scan, and give you a report on the health of your injectors. I have made the synthetic switch and run Rev-X as well. It essentially covers the injector(s) issue, does not repair it. unfortunately...
Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Many thanks to Term, Michael, and Six for your responses.

Update: As stated earlier, the change to synthetic oil seemed to give a real improvement. So much so that I elected to drive it to Austin (200 miles) to see if this would improve things. Unfortunately this am it refused to start (44F) so it wound up back on a tow truck to the Ford dealer. Diagnosis: the FICM is now kaput. Ford thinks that for the small sum of $1600 they will be able to breathe some life into FrankenTruck. This brings the weeks total Ford-enrichment stimulus money to four thousand bucks. Not real happy about that, BTW, but I really cant blame Ford. Yet.

Why switching to a synthetic oil would have such a measureable effect is sorta beyond me since the problem is electrical... but then again I am learning its all connected on these trucks.

Also an earlier question was "do you have the RevX in it yet". Answer: nope, but I am told there is a UPS package waiting for me at home.

Anyway... Just wanted to thank those who have responded so far for their input. It has been hugely appreciated. Now its time for a beer and maybe a shoulder or two to cry on.

Roark
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM

I'm with ya man. such a disheartening thing to call the tow. Goin to get mine towed home tomorrow so I can replace my injectors. Im into this thing well over 4k since I bought it as well. There's quite a few tears in my beer but what the heck. Anybody who doesnt like how much wrench time is involved with these trucks tell me where you live and Ill show how well they run by pulling down your house. When they run, boy do they run!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:10 PM

Hold on buddy. Don't take it to ford. Remove ur ficm from the vehicle and send it to Ed at ficmrepair.com. Ford changes too much and it will fail again. Ed is a+. u will not go wrong with him. Synthetic helped because u has injector stiction and the synthetic helped most of it. Rev-x will do the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.