Where is the coolant going?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Where is the coolant going??

I am in south TX (600 miles from home)at work and yesterday I went to go get some groceries and I stopped at a redlight, then I noticed that I smelled coolant through the a/c vents. I pulled over and there was no coolant left in the degas bottle. I filled it with water and drove onto the store, maybe 20 miles, and again when I stopped I could smell it, and again there was none in degas bottle. Did my shopping filled again and drove back to rig and searched for leaks. It is not puking out of the degas bottle and I cannot find any visible leaks anywhere. Degas bottle and cap is about a month old. All together it lost maybe 2 quarts of coolant. I also noticed that my ECT and tranny ran about 5 deg warmer than usual, EOT was normal, and it got HOTTER while idling. When the local parts store opens Monday I'm going to get a gauge and hose to check coolant PSI. What do you guys think?? Any input/experiences is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is your exhaust smoking?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:32 AM

No not at all.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:44 AM

My 6.0 has started the disappearing coolant trick too. No leaks, no smoke, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant. No puking to speak of. I have to put about a half gallon per month in. I assume it's a head gasket that is slowly leaking coolant in to cylinder, not enough to noticably white smoke.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willholl79 View Post
My 6.0 has started the disappearing coolant trick too. No leaks, no smoke, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant. No puking to speak of. I have to put about a half gallon per month in. I assume it's a head gasket that is slowly leaking coolant in to cylinder, not enough to noticably white smoke.
That would be very very hard to do if you have a EGR delete because the cylinder PSI is soooooooo much higher than the 16 PSI that the coolant system runs.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
That would be very very hard to do if you have a EGR delete because the cylinder PSI is soooooooo much higher than the 16 PSI that the coolant system runs.
I realize this, but maybe the cylinder psi is over pressurizing coolant system while it's running, then looses a little coolant back into the cylinder when it's shut off. Start the truck again and out it goes. I'm not sure this is the case, but I do know I am loosing coolant and have no leaks, no puking, no smoke.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
Not to be rude but I can show you different on video of mine.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodslinger View Post
Not to be rude but I can show you different on video of mine.
Learn something new everyday. It just seems to me that that would be almost impossible as the PSI is so much different. I could see it happening when it is just sitting there, but I would have to see the video of it happening while running to believe it. Not trying to call you a lair or anything. Just hard to believe.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM

I had this problem before. Had a egr delete and nothing else but I was noticing loss of coolant with little or no puking. Turned out it was head gasket failure and on cold start I would notice just a little puff of white smoke coming out the exhaust. I'm sorry for your troubles but with my experiences with the 6.0 just spend the money and have studs, oil cooler put in. No need trying to fix the one problem as all of these cause domino effect.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06harley91 View Post
I had this problem before. Had a egr delete and nothing else but I was noticing loss of coolant with little or no puking. Turned out it was head gasket failure and on cold start I would notice just a little puff of white smoke coming out the exhaust. I'm sorry for your troubles but with my experiences with the 6.0 just spend the money and have studs, oil cooler put in. No need trying to fix the one problem as all of these cause domino effect.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I have the BPD oil cooler and I am going to call a diesel specialty shop and see how much studs/HG would cost me. I think that it is about time. I will hook the gauge up and check the coolant PSI before I commit. What is a decent price to have studs/HG done if the heads are not cracked or too far out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.