Done a lot of work and still can't get the kinks out. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Done a lot of work and still can't get the kinks out.

I have an 05 PSD. ARP studs, EGR delete done in 2010. I just recently replaced the ICP sensor and the IPR valve. I've also recently replaced the dummy plugs, stand pipes and the STC fitting to the updated versions and replaced all of the o'rings for the fuel injectors even the ones in the top held in with the snap ring. The truck ran perfect for a couple of days after all that work and now all the sudden it starts quick after a few spins when cold but when you get the engine warm you have to spin it over way longer then normal for it to fire up. Anyone have anything similar happen after rebuilding the HPO system? Any help I sure would appreciate it.

Last edited by Ryan81; 01-04-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Have you checked the FICM voltages? With all of the work, maybe some wire harness connections are loose. Any codes?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 PM

I did check the FICM voltage when I got done working on it. It was 48v key on and when cranking. I heard something about when the FICM gets hot from engine heat that the solder joints on wiring in it can get soft or melt at high temps and it doesn't work right. Is this true? I'm gonna check the ficm plugs and wiring harness plugs tomorrow. Negative, its not pulling any codes at all. During all of the work I actually sleeved and wrapped all of the harnesses and checked everything with detail for any chaffing too.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As far as reading codes. If you are not using a scanner that can't read the enhanced Ford codes, you may be missing some important info. I rented a generic scanner, and it showed no codes. I connected the truck to the Auto Enginuity software, and I had 11 trouble codes that led me to the failed FICM. The FICM had all of the proper voltage readings but was shorting out on the logical side of the board. FICM solder joints can and do get weak over time due to heat cycling and vibration.

Here is a good "no start" checklist to begin with.

Good FICM how-to guide as well

If you have the capability, I would monitor the IPR% at KOEO. It should be at or just above 14%. Then crank the truck and watch the ICP, ICP Volts, and IPR%. ICP needs to be a minimum of 500 psi (0.80v) to enable the injectors for startup. Watch and see what the IPR% spikes to during cranking. Sometimes when doing all the work you have done, debris will get into the system and mess up your new IPR. Having trouble starting when the engine is warm typically indicates a loss of measured HPO. Have you tried unplugging the ICP then crank the engine. Doing this will make the PCM use a default value for the ICP and the engine may crank.

Last edited by fixxxer-upper; 01-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

are you using ford filters?? thats a big one and has been common to cause long cranking times.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:06 PM

I've been using a cheap OBDII CAN scanner. I know it would be nice to be able to see all the real time percentages and values for everything. Probably gonna take it up to my local diesel shop and see if they have anything like the auto enginuity scanner. I think I'm gonna pull the FICM and re-solder all the joints since I already bought the stuff to do it. Thanks for the FICM link you posted, I haven't seen this one.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 PM

I went with Ford filters for the longest. Last time I bought WIX filters.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
I think I'm gonna pull the FICM and re-solder all the joints since I already bought the stuff to do it. Thanks for the FICM link you posted, I haven't seen this one.
I would wait until the shop diagnoses your truck before performing surgery on the FICM. If you mess up while soldering, you may be ruining a good FICM. Then more repair cost. Check the other items I noted above first.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Switch back to Ford/Motorcraft filters and your problem may go away.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Okay will do, appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.