blown HG with studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blown HG with studs

i did the impossible blew the HG's with arps. i didn't have the time this month to tare it down my self so i broke down and took it in. they definitely found something interesting when he pulled the heads. in cylinder 2 it looks like there was a bolt that was dropped in when the heads where off for the first and only time(at a ford dealer). how ever there was no damage to the head at all. witch left me and my mechanic thinking that ford drooped it in during the original repair at 60k miles and tried to start it realized they messed up put another head on there and didn't replace the piston. its not in any of the notes either. is there anything that i can have ford do to correct there mistake cause it was done the first time under worentee and the previous owner was never informed a bought. the face of the piston has actual thread marks on it. the odometer says that it has 60k on it since we think it happened really it has 100k and its ran ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 AM

How did you know the HG's were actually blown? Was your truck puking coolant from the Degas bottle? I found out my HG's were blown my putting a PSI guage on the Degas bottle and it rapidly shoot up to 18 PSI. I just had my done with ARP's and new OEM Ford HG's and the coolant system PSI's run around 13-14 PSI. Nice truck, but to troublesome. I also have a hot FICM on my truck too.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak237 View Post
i did the impossible blew the HG's with arps. i didn't have the time this month to tare it down my self so i broke down and took it in. they definitely found something interesting when he pulled the heads. in cylinder 2 it looks like there was a bolt that was dropped in when the heads where off for the first and only time(at a ford dealer). how ever there was no damage to the head at all. witch left me and my mechanic thinking that ford drooped it in during the original repair at 60k miles and tried to start it realized they messed up put another head on there and didn't replace the piston. its not in any of the notes either. is there anything that i can have ford do to correct there mistake cause it was done the first time under worentee and the previous owner was never informed a bought. the face of the piston has actual thread marks on it. the odometer says that it has 60k on it since we think it happened really it has 100k and its ran ok.
Doing this is not impossible just do a search on it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:28 PM

It can happen. especially if the heads weren't machined.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 AM

the heads where replaced with new ford heads when it was first done. there should have been no tolerance problem. my concern isn't really the head gasket its the fact that ford dropped a bolt in cylinder 2 and never notified any one a bought it and only fixed the head side they left the messed up piston in there still to be ran and wasn't discovered until it was out of worentee.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Subscribed
Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently Ran into the same problem. I bought the truck with 100k on it, I wasn't familiar enough with diesel's yet to know that the coolant puking out was the HG being gone. They did the Job for a 1K deductible. 8K miles later The truck started running like garbage. I shut it down and had it towed in. Long story short they pulled the heads off and found a 7MM nun in cylinder number 8. they where the last people to have the heads off. There is a good four perfect impressions of that nut in the piston. It also tore the head up real nice. I'm currently talking with the dealer to try to get them to pay for a new motor, I haven't gotten anywhere yet. I think you should take it back to the dealer that did the work and tell them they have to make this right. It's there responsibility to uphold their reputation of the quality of work they do. I personally pretty pissed.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM

If there is no other damage in the cylinder I would not be concerned on the marks on the piston.

Were the studs added without replacing the gaskets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.