Suspect FICM need opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspect FICM need opinions

Suspect FICM at fault but wanted other opinions. Truck history, 2006 with 86000 miles. Always plugged in when Outside Air Temperature (OAT) is 40 degrees or lower. Never had a morning start issue, but the last couple of nights returning home from work tripped the following.

1st night after sitting (unplugged for 8 Hours) after normal start and warm up and reaching 45 MPH check engine light illuminated. Engine ran fine, continued driving until reaching home. Upon arriving home DTC P0279 #7 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low was successfully erased. Next morning and drive into work uneventful.

2nd night after sitting (unplugged for 8 Hours) OAT at 35 degrees. During start, engine would light off for a second then flame out. Several attempts were made until a successful start and normal warm up accomplished. Check engine light illuminated and remained on from first attempted start. The following DTC’s were successfully erased in order my scan tool presented.
1. P2614 Camshaft Position Signal Output Circuit Open
2. P0261 #1 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low
3. P0264 #2 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low
4. P0267 #3 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low
5. P0270 #4 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low
6. P0273 #5 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low
7. P0276 #6 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low
8. P0279 #7 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low
9. P0282 #8 Cylinder Injector Circuit Low
10. P2614 Camshaft Position Signal Output Circuit Open
11. P2617 Camshaft Position Signal Output Circuit Open

I have not yet attempted to trouble shoot the FICM, voltage output, floating battery voltage, yet. What is troubling me are the Cam position signal code(s). Is it possible to trip Cam position codes during failed starts? If so what are the differences between codes P2614 and P2617? Lastly is it possible for the FICM to trip a single injector and it still be at fault?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hdjetmech; 01-13-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 AM
information regurgitator

Cam/crank position codes will get thrown when cranking the engine over for extended periods of time, and it is normal to see them during a no-start.
The 8 injector codes point squarely at a dead FICM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Cam/crank position codes will get thrown when cranking the engine over for extended periods of time, and it is normal to see them during a no-start.
The 8 injector codes point squarely at a dead FICM.
Copy that, Thanks!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

im having the exact same issue only cyl #2 didnt trip. i know my batterys are weak and i will be replacing them shortly. will that cause all these faults or is it just the ficm?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdoxa View Post
im having the exact same issue only cyl #2 didnt trip. i know my batterys are weak and i will be replacing them shortly. will that cause all these faults or is it just the ficm?
The weak batteries likely contributed to the death of your FICM. Driving the truck with the FICM in this condition can damage the injectors on the electrical side.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdjetmech View Post
Copy that, Thanks!
If you have the latest PCM flash it will also throw a code "P0611 - FICM Performance".
Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
If you have the latest PCM flash it will also throw a code "P0611 - FICM Performance".
No P0611 code, batteries are sitting at 12.5 VDC thats overnight in below freezing temps. Next is FICM voltage check. Standby.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
No P0611 code, batteries are sitting at 12.5 VDC thats overnight in below freezing temps. Next is FICM voltage check. Standby.
Mine in an 06 with 65K. I recently had to have my FICM half shell (power supply) replaced. On a cold start, Key on/Engine off FICMV was 48. Key on/Engine Running FICMV was as low as 28. Once ECT and EOT would reach 145F, then FICMV would stay between 45 and 48.5.

Sounds like your batteries are in pretty good shape...
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
Mine in an 06 with 65K. I recently had to have my FICM half shell (power supply) replaced. On a cold start, Key on/Engine off FICMV was 48. Key on/Engine Running FICMV was as low as 28. Once ECT and EOT would reach 145F, then FICMV would stay between 45 and 48.5.

Sounds like your batteries are in pretty good shape...
Ok here are the results, 46 VDC, key on. 26 VDC engine running. Time for a new power supply or should I attempt the solder fix?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Ok here are the results, 46 VDC, key on. 26 VDC engine running. Time for a new power supply or should I attempt the solder fix?
Your FICM is toast.

Well, here's the catch. DIY is likely the cheapest and quickest if you know how to work on circuit boards, unless you inadvertently make it worse. If you do mess it up you might not be able to send it out for repair.

Sending it out for repair will cost anywhere from approximately $75 to $350 - plus shipping and downtime.

Ford offers FICM half shells which can be purchased and installed yourself, and if only a half shell is done, no FICM reprogramming is required. The half shell part number is 4C3Z-12B599-BARM. Cost is about $400, but any Ford dealer should have them. This is the quickest method of repair with least downtime (if that's the biggest concern).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.