EGR cooler leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR cooler leaking

06 6.0 has been doing well since replacing the degas cap, no more puking until getting home Sat night from fishing in the gulf. Truck pulled a 5-6K pound boat 800 miles round trip and at my last stop for fuel on the way home I noticed that the coolant level was about an inch and a half lower than what it normally runs but no puking. I drove the last 100 miles home taking it easy and trying not to push the motor cause I didnt know where the coolant had went. While driving up a long incline I noticed that I dont have normal power, was losing speed so I pushed the go pedal and it geared down but continued slowing, like the motor was being suffocated and couldnt breathe or wasnt getting enough fuel. So I backed off and petted it to the house. I watched my insight like a hawk, ect was 198 and eot was 205 but when I looked under the hood when I got home it had puked severly somewhere between my last fuel stop and home and it was never reflected in the temps. Parked the front end down hill overnight and pulled the egr valve yesterday morning and the intake has really oily damp soot in it, no standing water or droplets just really damp. I have not driven it since, plan to take it to the shop tomorrow for egr delete, oil cooler, arp studs, hg's, heads decked, t-stat. 1. Is there anything else that needs replacing or fixed? 2. Would the egr cooler failure cause the loss of power that I experienced while driving? (the truck starts and runs fine, will start off from a dead stop with no problem, just chokes down when you kick it into passing gear, when you kick it the boost pressure is 24-26 on the factory gauge) Sorry for the long post, just trying to give an informative description. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 AM

Yes EGR issues can result in loss of power. You're having your heads checked over like you said so I wouldn't worry about much other than the stuff you listed. I would do the updated stc fitting while you have it apart though. Also the updated tubo supply and drain if you don't have them.

Last edited by novemberdelta; 01-02-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 AM

stc fitting and turbo lines added to list. If this were your truck and you regularly pull med-hvy loads is there anything else you would do to make it dependable while towing? Not looking for a hot rod, just a stout dependable truck. Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Looks like you've pretty much got it covered. Some people would recommend stand pipes and dummy plugs, but I havnen't seen a pile of them with those problems so that's up to you. Just make sure you use OEM head gaskets.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 AM
information regurgitator

The standpipes and dummy plugs will be (or they should be) replaced when the heads are done over anyway. If they are not included, for the $102.30 cost, it would be cheap insurance against a future failure. They have been updated since 2006 to a superior design.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:09 PM

10-4 Thanks for the info guys, hopefully she will be better than new and on the road soon.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:46 AM

UPDATE: Got her back on Fri Jan 6th and have been running her hard since. Everything listed above was done and I have an SCT that turns the CEL off due to the delete but is supposed to still work if something else goes haywire. I know I am preaching to the choir but this thing is awesome now. It has never ran so smooth nor pulled so well, I hauled 12K+ on 3 different trips this weekend and she acted like she enjoyed it! I have give a big THANK YOU! to Jonathon at Leadfoot diesel in Loganville, he did what he said he would do, finished when he said he would, and charged exactly what he said he would. She was clean when she was dropped off and she was clean when I picked her up. They did a great job IMO!!! Thanks! GO, GO, 6.0!!!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM

Any idea what year the standpipe design was improved on these trucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.