Losing Coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Losing Coolant

I've been losing coolant ever since I had the studs, oil cooler, etc done. I know for a fact that part of the problem was the clamp on the lower radiator hose where the hose connects to the radiator. Took the truck back to the dealership, and they told me that the clamp was bad, that the stickers had been left on the hoses and wouldn't let the clamp work properly and that the hoses weren't routed quite right. They did a flush and topped everything back off. Two weeks later, I've probably added close to 4 gallons of water... It's been raining and wet here (finally!) so I haven't been able to tell if I have a leak. If it's not an external leak, what are some other possibilities? The mechanic said that my Sinister EGR delete was RTV'd on and he put Ford's equivalent on the plate when he re-installed it. Could this be an issue? He told me that it's unlikely that it's a blown HG. I have the ARP studs and OEM gaskets. What else could it be? I'd very much appreciate any help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 PM
information regurgitator

EGR is RTV'd on?? Explain this.....
Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 PM

The mechanic said that the Top Sinister plate was RTV'd on. I have no idea. The delete was on the truck when I bought it... I'm going to get an o-ring or gasket from sinister and do it right. Why the mech didn't do that I have no idea. He told me that it's possible that the EGR delete is where water is going, but that it would be going out the back of the truck. Can someone please explain this? Should I be worried? The truck runs great. No water in oil or vice versa... Thanks!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM
information regurgitator

Ok, I was just curious if the egr delete installed was one of those that had plugs installed in the existing egr cooler....

I would check the plastic nipple on the bottom of the degas bottle and the rubber hose for the EGR delete.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 PM

Thank you sir! I'll check it out!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Any update on this? I am losing coolant as well and I have no idea where it's going. My delta is less than 5, truck runs great on SRL tune. Where am I supped to fill the coolant to? I changed the thermostat a couple of weeks ago and put 2 gallons of coolant/distilled water in to almost hit the "line" on the degas bottle. I opened the hood the other day to find white crusty coolant around the cap. I feared the worst and started finding ways to scrape funds together for a HG job. I cleaned the cap and noticed the coolant level was low, can't see the level in the degas, and it hasn't puked since.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.