Smoke and oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoke and oil

Wife came in today and told me her truck was smoking and left an oil puddle in the driveway. Looks like the oil is coming from somewhere near the exhaust side of the turbo as theres some spray near the turbo down pipe connection, however it dont look like theres the volumn coming from there that was evident on the ground. It's deffinately running down the passenger side rear of the engine and dripping near the starter. the smoke is white/gray and the truck runs fine with no warning lites. one other currious thing is it left puddles of oil on the ground when she left probably every ten feet or so. Gonna take it in but wanted to get some advice from the experts here also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Well upon further inspection and after noticing that waht I thought was oil had dried up I checked the coolant level and there wasn't any in the tank. I remember reading something about this at one point and if I recall it has something to do with the EGR. Does that sound right?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

We need more info or pix to help you with this problem. A coolant leak on a 6.0 could come from a bunch of different places. My first GUESS would be to look at the connection between the EGR and oil cooler. That would be a 3 or 4 inch hose on the right side of the engine between the intake and turbo. See the t-shooting guide in my sig and the tech manual link as well for more info and pix.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 12-30-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
We need more info or pix to help you with this problem. A coolant leak on a 6.0 could come from a bunch of different places. My first GUESS would be to look at the connection between the EGR and oil cooler. That would be a 4 or 4 inch hose on the right side of the engine between the intake and turbo. See the t-shooting guide in my sig and the tech manual link as well for more info and pix.
That is the FIRST thing that was running through my mind. And when you get under and look at the starter and trans lines, it could really look like oil. It picks up oil and dirt and looks exactly like black used diesel oil.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 AM

Looks like a blown head gasket as well, after looking closer the spray from the turbo/down pipe connection didn't look to be enough to be running down the back of the engine, it wasn't pooling or building up just a sight spray. The rear passenger side corner of the head is dripping but I can' find anyplace where it is running down from the valley, it's dry above and in front. so my only guess is that whatever it did it also blew the head gasket.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:30 AM
NOT a Democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gparrow View Post
Looks like a blown head gasket as well, after looking closer the spray from the turbo/down pipe connection didn't look to be enough to be running down the back of the engine, it wasn't pooling or building up just a sight spray. The rear passenger side corner of the head is dripping but I can' find anyplace where it is running down from the valley, it's dry above and in front. so my only guess is that whatever it did it also blew the head gasket.
A bad HG on a 6.0 wont "drip" oil like you would think. Actually there really isnt any Ford motor that will.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:34 PM

It's definately not oil, i cant see where it's coming from though, it's just hard to tell. I pulled the intake off and everything was dry except a little drop of moisture on the bottom of the spool. I guess I'll let the guys at Ford figure it out.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Well after talking to several people we decided to take it to the dealer for diagnostics and repair. I talked to them yesterday and their diagnosis was that due to Oil Cooler restriction the EGR cooler failed. Ordered the EGR Delete kit and they are going to re build the Oil Cooler. He mentioned that they cant check the head gaskets until the other stuff is done so we're keeping our fingers crossed on that one. Total estimate with EGR delete kit $2,799. Hope this will be the end of our problems with this truck, I've had plenty of problems with my 7.3 (water pump, CPS, rear mail seal) but i've had that truck for 12 years and it has twice the miles as the 6.0, not a fan of the 6.0 right now.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 AM
NOT a Democrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gparrow View Post
Well after talking to several people we decided to take it to the dealer for diagnostics and repair. I talked to them yesterday and their diagnosis was that due to Oil Cooler restriction the EGR cooler failed. Ordered the EGR Delete kit and they are going to re build the Oil Cooler. He mentioned that they cant check the head gaskets until the other stuff is done so we're keeping our fingers crossed on that one. Total estimate with EGR delete kit $2,799. Hope this will be the end of our problems with this truck, I've had plenty of problems with my 7.3 (water pump, CPS, rear mail seal) but i've had that truck for 12 years and it has twice the miles as the 6.0, not a fan of the 6.0 right now.
It’s not the motor, it’s the way it was taken care of (or lack thereof). Your oil cooler plugged more than likely because you had dirty Gold Coolant. Blame it on lack of care due to dirty coolant. You can also say the government had a part in that too. The EGR system was making your coolant really hot at certain points in the cooling system. That gold coolant doesn’t like all your EGR heat. Boom – its breaking down taking out your oil cooler! After that its your egr

I’m sure you know this at this point! Just posting for people who read this. Also, that price seems high without the heads coming off. I am not used to shop prices but if someone showed up at my house wanting me to do head gaskets and EGR delete, I would charge them about the price you stated there. I would make them bring me studs of course.

Cheers,

Last edited by Galaxie; 01-05-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if u can get the hg's redone and all that for under 5k, thats pretty good. buy arp head studs and have them install them instead of bolts. use only OEM head gaskets. egr delete and new oil cooler. do the stc upgrade if its a 05-07. then get an sct x3and gauges!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.