2003 6.0 no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0 no start

hey everyone i could use some help on this one we have an f-250 in the shop. I dont have much history about it except for that it had no power above 50mph and was blowing white smoke and turning to black before this happened we have put 2 starters in it now and put a new cam sensor in we are getting good fuel to the secondary filter i have unplugged the icp sensor after i saw a post saying to try that and still nothing it wont even start off of either it will turn over all day long and act like it wants to start but all it will do is pop thats it.
The oil level is good in it, and the ficm is reading good voltage if someone could help give some insight it would be greatly appreciated thanks
Wallace Garage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Do you have any way to check the oil pressure coming off the hpop? It's probably the icp or ipr. Giving that you unhooked the icp and it still did nothing im leaning towards the ipr. Could also be the hpop itself but I'd check the sensors first.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks i will go check it out
Old 12-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

given the history you discribed, I am thinking head gaskets. These trucks need fuel and compression. If you supply the fuel down the intake ( ether / wd40 ) and it won't go, it's starting to sound like a compression problem. Do you have a way to check compression? Why have you replaced 2 starters?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

going to try and get a gauge to perform a compression check tonight and the customer blew the first starter up and the second starter solenoid cracked and arced everywhere how do you test the compression on these??
Old 12-29-2011, 03:13 PM

There are kits that will let you use the glow plug hole or remove the injector and use that hole. You need 350 to 400 psi to start and run. I found this tool at sears, but it's an OTC tool so almost any vendor can get it for you. Maybe you could rent one from vatozone etc.. If you pull the glow plug harness you might plan on replacing it. Sometimes they don't survive. Do you have any codes? have you check to make sure the EGR valve is not full of crud and stick open? That will produce the symptoms you described in your original post. What else have you checked or done? What year is it. Do I understand correctly that it was running when it was brought to your shop? You installed a starter and now it won't fire. Look at the last thing that was touched that is usually the problem. Do you have any values for ICP and IPR or any other data. Trying to fix a 6.0 without some solid data to work with gets very expensive and very frustrating pretty fast.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

[IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG] OTC FORD 6.0L DIESEL COMPRESSION TESTER

Sold by Sears & 5 others Sears Item# SPM4955904801 | Model# 6660 Close

FORD 6.0L DIESEL COMPRESSION TESTER

Features and Benefits
  • OEM design
  • Works on the Ford 6.0L diesel engine
  • Meets or exceeds OTC quality standards
The OTC6660 adapter is used to connect the OTC5021 Diesel Compression Tester gauge to perform a compression test.

WARRANTY :
Repair Only

SKU:OTC6660

SKU:TDB3316229

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 12-29-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the customer told us it wouldnt start so when it came to the shop it was not running we have charged and checked batteries both good it is a 2003 built 12/02 and has 251,000 on it i will check the egr today and i will try and test the ipr as well thanks for all of the info
Old 12-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacesgarage View Post
the customer told us it wouldnt start so when it came to the shop it was not running we have charged and checked batteries both good it is a 2003 built 12/02 and has 251,000 on it i will check the egr today and i will try and test the ipr as well thanks for all of the info
Need a scan tool to monitor ICP pressure while cranking. That would be step #1 in my opinion.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM

I would try to start it on WD40 again. You can also pull the ipr and look for glitter on the IPR screen if so then it's time for a HPOP. See the NO START CHECK LIST IN MY SIG
Old 12-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just got done cleaning egr and put everything back together it will start and run for a few seconds and die again i will try wd40 again thanks for the help i will let you know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.