truck just died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
truck just died

i know i am probably beating a dead horse here but here goes i have a 2005 that just died going down the road got it towed home i have heard alot about the hpop being the problem with this happening the truck has been sitting for about 3 hrs since it died and it will not even act like it wants to fire up i am just asking what anybody thinks about this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine did the same thing when the HPOP went out. Cranked it a few times after it died and it just wouldn't turn over.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM

i have heard that when it cools off that it will usually fire up if it is the hpop is that correct or not
Old 12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i just went through the same situation. ended up replacing the hpop, IPC, IPR, and oil cooler(since i was in there). turns out i was jus throwing parts at it cause it still had the hot start issue. i spent nearly 2000 bucks and it ended up being the d*** stand pipes and dummy plugs! a couple little o-rings were causing the whole problem. so my recomendation would be to not skimp on diagnostics, when working a problem like this. i can think of a lot of stuff i could have used that 2gs for, not to mention the time my truck was down. and spend lots of time searching this site, TONS of good info that can save your wallet
Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Usually the HPOP doesn't fail on 2005s. Without any further info, I would guess it may be leaking standpipes or dummy plugs.

First things first... do the simple diagnostics... Fuel in tank? batteries charged? getting fuel? FICM OK? oil level OK?

You need to check your ICP/IPR with a scanner and see what the duty cycle/pressure is. If the HPOP checks out, then go on to air testing the high pressure oil system. Usually if they won't start when hot it is because of a leaking O-ring, not a bad HPOP.

There are many write ups here on how to check all of these things as well as step by step troubleshooting for these types of problems. Do a couple of searches and you will find them....

MikeB

Last edited by PSDMikeB; 12-28-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 AM

i did some checking on my this morning and i am not getting any low oil pressure and this by the way of the gauge on the inside of the truck it does not move when the motor is turning over i also could not get any oil to where the oil filter is either so ii am just guessing here but that would be a sign of lpop failure or something related to the lpop any ideas on further test before i have it towed to a dealer
Old 12-31-2011, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I agree with the other members. A hot no restart condition does lend itself to a high pressure oil issue. From my years of reading on the forums, the 05 HPO system tends to fail at the snap to connect (STC) fitting. This is the under the HPO cover at the connection from the HPOP to the branch tubes. Initial diagnostics will save you a ton of time and money. With all of my reading over the years, I have not found many issues with the low pressure oil supply on the 6.0's. The oil pressure gauge on the dash is a dummy gauge that is triggered by a voltage signal when minimum oil pressure requirements are met. My dash gauge will only register pressure after long cranking or after the engine has been started. Purchasing good gauge that can monitor the engine PID's is the way to go before throwing parts at your situation. It will pay for itself on the initial repair.

An quick and simple check of the LPO supply would be to:
  1. Remove the oil filter.
  2. Use a ratchet extension to press down spring loaded oil drain back button. It is the black button inside the filter housing at the bottom.
  3. Have someone to crank the engine to see if the filter housing fills up with oil.

If it fills up, you have low pressure oil supply. You can then move on to diagnosing the high pressure side of things. This would involve checking the ICP for damage or leaks, monitor the ICP pressure, ICP voltage, ICP wire pigtail, and IPR duty cycle. With a good gauge, these can all be monitored with KOEO, cranking, and engine running. This data will let you know if there is a HPO leak in the system. These monitored values will be different if the oil is cold. If you have a small high pressure oil leak, the cold oil will not bypass a small leak and build high pressure quicker, thus the cold engine will usually crank. The viscosity of warm oil allows it to bypass your leak location easier, thus the hot no restart condition.

Once the HPO leak has been verified, you can begin the process of identifying the location of the leak by air testing the system. Knowledge is priceless. Keep searching and reading, and I guarantee you will save yourself some time and money.

Hope that helps some~

Last edited by fixxxer-upper; 12-31-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM

I checked the low oil pressure system and I am getting oil to the oil filter I am waiting on a scanner that can read icp pressure and ipr until then I am justb going to let sit in the yard.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM

i have some numbers i got with my scanner icp pressure was 0 and stayed there with about 20 seconds of cranking ipr maxed out at 77% at about 20 seconds of cranking what i am looking at my guess would be the pump what does anybody else think
Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
i have some numbers i got with my scanner icp pressure was 0 and stayed there with about 20 seconds of cranking ipr maxed out at 77% at about 20 seconds of cranking what i am looking at my guess would be the pump what does anybody else think
OK. You now have a starting point. What is the IPR% at KOEO?

The PCM needs to get signal voltage from the ICP sensor indicating a minimum of 500 psi for the injectors to be enabled. The PCM is closing the IPR to 77% in an attempt to build oil pressure due to the low ICP reading.

With the ICP at 0, I would check it first. It is on the passenger side valve cover above the glow plug module. Unplug the ICP sensor. Check the connector for damage or oil contamination. While the ICP is unplugged try to start the truck. By disconnecting the ICP plug, the PCM will use a default value for ICP. If the truck starts, your ICP sensor or circuit is at fault. If you still have a no start, move on air testing the HPO system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.