Engine shacking and loud tapping noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine shacking and loud tapping noise

I couldn't find any threads on this but was wondering if anyone has had their motor start shaking really bad and making a loud tapping noise. 06, F350 6.0, it started shaking at a stop and as i accelerated it started getting worse and making a loud tapping noise. All the fan shrouding and such is clear and the belts are fine. I have no idea what to do, had the Head Gaskets done about 10,00 miles ago. I appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to get a mechanics stethascope and determine where the sound is comeing from. Valve covers or lower down. I wouldn't use the truck ubtil ya find out, you are fixing to have iminant mechanical failure, If you sling a rod thru the block that's all she rote. The engine will become a boat anchor.

It can be anything from a valve train problem to rod bearings. The longer ya run it the more damage you can do. Catch it early, if it's not allready too late.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah I'm not going to lie i really don't have the skill set to determine where its coming from stethascope or not. I shut her down as soon as i could which means i drove it another 400 yards after the noise started to my house. I had it towed to a shop that I trust. I haven't gotten any word from him yet. Like i said i'm no mechanic but i was leaning more towards maybe a injector being stuck shut. I also was thinking maybe a the hpop but i thought if that was bad that the truck would have probably shut off on me. I really don't know I was just trying to see if anyone else has had this sorta problem.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well here's a little update in case your wondering, they took the heads off and found a 7MM nut in cylinder number 8. The only way I can imagine that nut got down there is when they dealer I bought it from did the heads 8K miles ago somehow someone dropped it down there. They are claiming there's no way it could have been them, but there's been no one else in that motor since the head job. I can't see that nut getting in any other, if someone has any idea of a way that it could have gotten in there please let me know.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I feel your pain. When I bought my truck it turned out that the HG's were blown, dealer ended up fixing them, but in the process a broken off screwdriver tip somehow made it into #7 cylinder. Took out the head and the piston and put a light scratch in the cylinder wall. Tech said that he had never seen the screwdriver tip (I believe him). Near as we can tell it was from a previous repair and was sitting between the intake and the head, and when he pulled off the intake it dropped into the intake valve port and got stuck there until the motor was started and made its way into the cylinder through the valve. Luckily it did this immediately so there was no question as to fault. Since it took so long for your nut to present itself, it sounds to me like it was probably stuck in the intake and eventually made its way down to #8 and went in through the valve. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.